That Locket

Alice slid to a stop as she suddenly realised that it was getting late and she had absolutely NO idea where she was. “I’m lost,” she muttered. Alice looked around anxiously as dark looming shadows started to creep across the leaves on the forest floor. Suddenly she burst into a wild run as she desperately tried to find a way out of the forest.
Finally she sat down exhausted. Night had already come and she was more lost than she had been before. She saw a faint glow penetrating the leaves. It seemed to say, “Follow me.” Alice was more than glad to follow that warm inviting glow. As she approached the source of the fascinating light, she began to have a strange, tingly feeling creeping up her spine. The glow increased into a large shining light.
Alice slowly crept up to the object that was giving of the magical glow. It was a sparkly glittery locket. She carefully extended her hand and snatched up the locket. Instantly she was blinded by a shining light and felt a strange falling sensation.
As she cautiously opened her eyes, she could not believe what she saw. Lush bushes were all around her and lo and behold on those bushes instead of fruits they had little clusters of shining rubies, sparkling diamonds and glittering emeralds. She slowly walked forward like one in a daze, trees were holding strange luscious fruits. A gentle stream was flowing past on the banks but this stream was of every different colour and when she drank from it, the red tasted like pink lemonade but ever so much better than any she had tasted, the yellow was like supreme ginger beer and the green just tasted absolutely delicious.
Alice suddenly heard a flutter of wings behind her. She saw a small young golden-haired girl with a round smiley face. She looked at Alice for a moment before saying, “I’m Hannah.”
“Hello Hannah,” said Alice happily. Then her face dimmed as she remembered she was stuck in Fairyland and could not get out. “What’s wrong?” Hannah asked gently. Alice told her absolutely everything. She ended with… “And this is the locket.” “Ooooh,” Hannah cooed. “I know what that is!!” “That’s um, that is uh, interesting, I seem to have forgotten.” she giggled. “But I know if you dip a magic locket into a fairy rainbow it will take you home!” “That’s why fairies always take rainbows and lockets with them. I have one rainbow here she announced,” as she pulled out a small sparkling bag. “There now, you just dip that locket in there like that!” Suddenly everything started to fade and Alice shut her eyes and waited, gradually she felt the locket slip from her grasp and disappear forever. “Alice...ALICE Alice are you there?” “MUM” Alice shrieked “Mum!” “Oh Sweety,” Alice’s mum crooned, “We were so worried about you!” “Where were you?” “Well, Mum,” Alice said, “It’s a long story……..”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!