Fear

The wave of power came upon me. Fear racked my body. I shook with rage, brought on with realisation. Fury was replaced with anxiety. Worry curdled my stomach like sour milk. I had that feeling that something bad was going to happen… and it did.

I walked through the jungle. I adored the emerald green leaves brushing softly against my skin. Sap seeped out of the leaves onto my arm. The sap that smelt like poison. THWACK! I chopped at another branch.

I was trudging through the dense jungle, straining my eyes to make out the small figure in the distance. I saw a glimmer of light through the bushland. I needed to make it to that place. I needed to get there quickly. I needed to stop the chase. I needed to stop the chase for the young boy that walks the streets unknown.

I ran towards the temple. When I arrived I saw a plaque. It read ‘Your parents are dead.’ Tears streamed down my face as flashbacks flew through my head. The day. The crash. The call. The death. I knew something was going to happen. Something crazy. Unbearable. And most of all... Dangerous.

The last thing I remembered was getting pulled up by a fishing net, waking up, spluttering and rubbing my eyes. I was in some strange place. I got up, then stumbled back. Dizzy, I walked to a rusty old cabin and cautiously opened the half-fallen-off door. My vision was slowly coming back to me. What before looked like a cabin now was a long corridor. I strained my eyes to see if anything was behind the darkness. There wasn’t.

Click! What was that? I was locked in darkness. Black. That's all I could see. Fear went through my brain. Then my throat was scratchy. I lifted my hand up and shook the dust away. My eyes adjusted to the darkness. I shuffled over to the door, realising that it wasn’t locked at all. I opened it up and saw the dark corridor. I screamed for help. I saw a silhouette of feet. The door opened. I saw myself with my family. I wanted to go there so I jumped. I jumped into... darkness.

I felt the whoosh of the air on my face as I fell into the deep darkness below. I couldn't see where it led to. I wanted something to give myself a name. A name that people would recognise but surely I couldn't survive this fall. It was at least two hundred storeys. How would I do it?

Crack! I felt excruciating pain in my left leg as it hit the hard, concrete ground. I looked around for help. What’s going to happen? Will my time be gone? I pushed the thought out of my head. I needed someone. Someone like my parents. And there it was. My mother. Surely it was a ghost? Then mother started to wrap up my leg in thick bandages that she used to use for me at school.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!