Bastille Day Terror Attack

"Alright that's booked, we're off to France,” I said. "Can't wait for the break and Bastille Day,” said Tom.
We were entering the plane a week later and Tom said "Make sure you don't take your last possible steps on solid ground for granted," I replied "Don't be so silly."
After getting off a very steady flight, we went to get our car. We decided to go straight to the hotel in Nice. We grabbed some dinner and slept.
The next day was Bastille Day and we decided to go to the fireworks.
The fireworks were loud but good to watch. Afterwards we decided to go and get an ice-cream. We got our ice-cream and I heard screams. "Let's go and see what all the screaming is for I said." "Run, RUN!” screamed a cop.
"There's a terrorist driving a truck straight at people. Run everybody RUN!”
I dropped the ice-cream and bolted. The crowd was so huge that I lost Tom.
"Tom, TOM!” I yelled. I had to find him. I heard loads of thuds and screams for help. All of a sudden, the truck was coming straight for me. I jumped into the gutter and hurt my ribs. I quickly got up and continued looking for Tom. Eventually I found him lying there. He was unconscious, he was missing a leg, four fingers and his ice-cream was splattered all over his face. Some ambulances arrived and I quickly put Tom in one. I jumped into the ambulance after helping get some other injured people and we went to the hospital.
Three hours later, the doctor came out. "Who's Tom Jamieson's mate?" "Me,” I said. He told me the news isn't good. He said,"He's had a bleed on the brain," "He is on life support and has a slight chance of surviving, I'm very sorry." I couldn't believe it.
Today, Tom's mum, dad and sister arrived at the hospital. Later, the doctor came and had worst news. "I'm afraid Tom's injuries are too severe for him to wake up. I will be back tomorrow morning to ask for a decision. My heartfelt condolences."
I woke up after an hour of sleep to see Tom's family having a conversation.
They came over to me and said, "Mate, we have to turn the life support off, it's the right thing to do.” I started crying.
The doctor came and we all said our last words to him. I was so upset I didn't get to say goodbye. Jessica was so upset because the last thing she said to Tom was, "At least it'll be quiet here without you.” I told him I would never forget our time away together and that I'll miss him.
I arrived at the airport the next day and mum and dad were there to meet me.
I fell into their arms bawling my eyes out. "It's alright son, let's go home.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!