Waves Of Fear And Shock

Waves Of Shock And Fear

I fell to the floor as a wave of shock and fear washed over my body. Michael stood over me and yelled out harsh words. Feeling blood pouring down my face, I placed my hand on my nose and the pain kicked in instantly. I think my nose was broken. Michael had never hit me this hard before.

He hadn't grown up with violence or abuse but soon after our wedding I found some cracks in my loving husband. The first time when he came home he had definitely been drinking, as the smell of alcohol poured from his breath and out into the air. He told me he hated me and wished we had never met. Each time after that I'd leave him alone and go into bed and every single time I would let him crawl in and say sorry and tell me how much he loved me. But the worst thing was when he hit me the first time; he cried and told me he wanted to get help and stop being so horrible. He never did, he never would. He never loved me and I doubt he ever would. I would convince myself the next time I would leave him but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I closed my eyes, my nose was burning and I didn't know if it had stopped bleeding. I took a deep breath in. This time I was going to leave. I stood back up and opened my eyes - he wasn't there, I heard him from the living room. I had to do it now. I pulled myself up the stairs and pushed open the bedroom door. I slid open the wardrobe, grabbed my old suitcase and stuffed it with clothes and money, zipped it up and pushed it to the bedroom door. I was only 32 and had the rest of my life to live. It had to be better than this. I quietly dragged my suitcase down the stairs. As I walked past the kitchen he was at the kitchen sink breathing heavily with smashed plates surrounding him. I took another step and the floor board squeaked. I gulped, he swung around and shouted, "You can't leave me!" and started running towards me. He pushed me backwards into the living room. I screamed out for help as my head slammed into the corner of the wooden coffee table and everything turned black.

In the world, 4,000 women die each year due to domestic violence. Of the total domestic violence homicides, about 75% of the victims are killed as they attempt to leave the relationship or after the relationship has ended. However, most of them don't have the opportunity to leave. If you are involved in an abusive relationship or know of one speak up to authorities or police before it is too late.

Written by Amy Ross-Hodges From Killarney Heights High School, NSW

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!