I Am Tybalt

The bird’s neck cracks easily in my hands, relieving me of some of my contained anger. The walls of this grand house will not become mine anymore. There is a draft blowing as the footsteps come closer, footsteps of the one who was to be my wife. I kiss her with greeting, anger shivers down my spine, she knows. I could feel the pity in her kiss.

I have to control myself, I need to be kept here, I have to be courteous and pretend it doesn't matter to maintain my place in this house. Juliet, Juliet Capulet a name that would be soon the Lady of this house but not my wife, she would be married to the Earl of Paris whom she would be meeting at this evenings banquet in his honour, yesterday it was to be my honour, but no more it's gone that honour doesn’t exist anymore, they have found someone more noble and a man of wealth who would bring greater assets to this house than I could, it didn’t matter, no it didn’t matter anymore.

My eye aches from this mornings brawl with Montague filth in the market place. The prince has now ordered a ban on fighting between Capulets and Montagues, he has declared death to thee that fights. They make me so angry it is hard to think I cannot fight them anymore, I still keep my hand near my rapier in case I spot one.

Preparing for the banquet in the Earl’s honour is no easy task, this man, today has taken my house, I don’t know if I can honour him but I plan to drown my sorrows in large jugs of ale till I can think no more, only about the pain in my head. My man declares I am ready, I leave with my anger tucked just behind the smile on my face.

I stumbled across the floor looking around, I swear I saw him, I have seen him before, a Montague at the banquet, what vile creature would dare to enter the house of Capulet unannounced. I caught one more glimpse of him and that was enough, I tugged on the nearest servants shoulder ‘Get me my rapier!’ I announced. People were looking at me now, Lord Capulet calmly walked over to me;
‘Why do you rage, at this here banquet?’
I had no words how could he not tell the slime that sauntered among us ‘Uncle!’ I slurred ‘The filth of Montague is at your banquet! With my rapier, I will slash him till he is dead!’ I could feel the burn of the crowds eyes boring through me, the servant returned with my rapier, I grabbed it from him with hands more than furious ready to chop the head off the Montague that dared to attend this banquet. Uncle turned to the crowd, shook his head and said some words I could not make out I was still furious when I saw the crowd turn away and a firm hand on my chest pushing me back, away from the crowd, into the quiet corner of the banquet room.
‘Enough’ he simply said. I did not say anything as I needed his good will, I felt my cheeks fire then, as I realised my mistake.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!