Tavonga

TAVONGA

“Tavonga! Wake up now, it is time for school.” That yelling and screaming can only be from one person! My mother. I get up and rub my eyes with exhaust. If you haven’t guessed it yet my name is Tavonga, I am thirteen, have Black African hair and dark brown (almost black) eyes. I live with my mother and five (yes 5) brothers. We live in the Catembe Gallery Hotel, located in the capital of Mozambique (Maputo). It is owned by my mother and she has dedicated a lot of her time and effort into making it successful. It ensures a good education for me and my brothers. Education is everything to me.

As I am now dressed in my uniform for the ‘Princess Cinderella High School’ (funny name I know). My brothers are already down stairs eating like pigs I can hear my mother telling them to slow down but always they ignore her. “Tatenda, Tafadzwa, Tendai, Tapiwa and Tafara! Stop eating like animals and get ready for school you need to leave now.” Most people would be concerned about the amount of yelling and discord in my family,but in a family of seven this is basically everyday. There is always order in chaos. After breakfast I say good bye to my mother, we look very much alike. We have the same dark brown eyes, same African hair, we are almost the same height. The only difference is that I have my father's skin tone he was half Portuguese but died of Malaria two years later after my birth. As the youngest in my family unfortunately, I didn't really get to know him too well. From what I gather from all who knew him, he seemed as though he was a good man who was compassionate and loving towards his family and friends.

Walking to school is always fun, I love seeing everyone in the village. I have accomplished quite a reputation for being polite, respectful and helpful to our elders and my friends. As I make my way through the village I say hi to many shop owners and as usual they greet me back. On my way to school, I pick up my best friend Zuri along the way. She is tall for her age with big green eyes, short curly hair and very smart. We have known each other since the beginning of time and have been inseparable ever since. We pass by Mr Muchero’s home. He owns a cute little Vervet monkey named Soko who always greets us with the cheekiest smile. He is so cute with his big ears and white and black fur. We love him to bits. As usual, we get to school in ten minutes flat. Manning the front of the school are several beautiful acacia trees that stand proud and tall. Our school uniform colour is mint green. Our teachers are very nice and supportive to make sure that we learn.I love my family, neighbourhood and school.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!