Dark Reveal


The blinding sun beams down onto the tree tops, forming shadows on the grass below, whilst fluffy white clouds are scattered across the sky, making the warm summer’s day bearable. The high pitched chirps of the birds inhabiting the trees and the giggling of the children playing in the shade in refuge of the heat, intermingle. Chatter and the liveliness of the public fills the park as does the tantalizing smell of the meats on the barbeque.
A picnic shelter not too far away from the children is crowded with adults and foods piled up on the benches. Tied around the wooden structures of the shelter are vibrant decorations of helium balloons, spiral strings and a sign that reads ‘Happy Birthday Tommy’. Holding onto his mother’s arms, Tommy stands behind her, away from the heat of the barbecue where his mother is busily flipping the sizzling sausages. Amongst the crackles and sizzling of the meat, he hears the giggling of the children, that seem close-by.

“Mum” he called, “I want to play with my friends”.

Tommy’s mother continues to flip the sausages with the tongs, not being able to hear the soft voice of his son amongst the noises of the meat cooking on the barbecue. Daringly, he slid his hand out of his mother’s protection and began searching for where the sounds were coming from. He turns and tilts his premature head. Confident that he would be able to find his friends on his own, he takes a step forward. Tommy reaches his arms out around him, feeling the sturdy timber of the picnic shelter on his left. Holding onto it, he takes another step and begins to roam the area with his ears, finding that the voices of the children had gotten stronger. He takes more steps forward, becoming more confident. To make sure that he doesn't collide into anything he keeps his arms stretched out. His steps grow faster.
But soon his confidence suddenly declines. The intense giggling and voices had turned into mere sounds in the distance. He stands helplessly on the grass. He realises that he had gone too far. Regret and fear sends tingles throughout his body. No longer could he hear or feel the presence of the adults or smell the meats that his mother was cooking. Tommy turned around and walked back. The crunching of his shoes pressing against the harsh grass and fallen leaves had gotten more intense as he impatiently attempted to pace back to the picnic shelter, with his arms in front of him. His mind occupied with the desire to be back in his mother’s care and safety, his skinny fragile legs hit a tree stump, causing him to tumble over. Without injury he slowly stands up.
The shade from the trees and shelter that had earlier kept him cool, had now turned into cold wind that blew against his pale skin. Tommy held onto himself. He felt alone. The voices of his friends and family were now nothing but whispers.

Then a cheerful piercing voice interrupted the air.

“Tommy we’re here!“

His body jerked as he turned his head to the source of the sound.

“Tommy, over here!”

Feeling a huge sense of security and comfort, Tommy wore a huge smile on his face and began to head over, confident in where his friends were. He felt them drag him into the game they were playing and he began to giggle with them.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!