Barrier

Barrier
There was a crash and then a ringing in my ear and before I knew it I was in the ER being rushed into surgery. My friend Maddi and I were at the beach on the first day of summer vacation. How I love summer vacation. The warm sunshine against your skin, the waves crashing against the sand and the best part no school, because we graduated.
Maddi and I had just finished packing our bags for the beach. We had finished saying good bye to our family and friends, then we were off. Travelling from Canberra to Perth was a two week drive across Australia. I didn’t think I was ready to actually do this drive but there’s no turning back now.
After fourteen days
we finally made it! We were at the hotel looking out onto the sun setting across the ocean making the sky a range of beautiful colours. The next morning we were at the beach swimming in the salty beach water. We stayed there for the day.
We got out of the water, grabbed our towels and started to walk back to our hotel room. We were crossing the street to our hotel room then there was a crash, then a ringing in my ear. I was looking for Maddi but she wasn’t there, out of sight, nowhere to be seen. Now I’m in hospital? What’s happening? There’s a doctor asking me questions and shining a bright into my eyes. I can’t speak. I fall asleep.
I have just woken up to a crowd of people with flowers, balloons and gifts at the foot of my hospital bed. I get up, they don’t do anything. I try to hug Maddi but I’m blocked by a wall. I look back at my pillow and my body’s there with cuts and bruises. I fall to my knees. I try to talk to Maddi but it won’t work. I start smashing against an invisible wall that’s stopping everyone from seeing me. It’s a barrier between us.
As they start to leave I notice Maddi stays. She grabs my hand and starts telling me about the times we had together. This tears me to pieces. The one person who likes me for me and I can’t speak to her. It frustrates me, I start to throw a tantrum and eventually fall to my knees. I see a bright light then my life flashing before me I think I’m dying, should I fight it? I do, I fight it with everything I’ve got.
Blackness surrounds me… is this it? I try to move but something’s stopping me. I try to move every body part, then I blink. Maddi’s there holding my hand. I’m alive, she’s alive. I hug her so tightly, she cries and hugs me back. I can’t and don’t want to speak. This is the happiest moment of my life. She holds my arms and looks me in the eyes and says “Riley. There is something wrong”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!