Oliver

Oliver’s soft material rubs against my face, covering my eyes, providing me with a haven in which I’m both protected and safe from the unknown creatures that lurk in the darkness just beyond my bedroom. The monsters make deep, rumbling sounds outside, and a flash of light illuminates their silhouettes as long nails scratch at my window, making me question if they may be able to break the glass that separated us; they’re throwing heavy rocks onto our tin roof, yet I know I’m safe when Oliver is with me. He covers me from my toes to just under my chin, providing me with comfort, and reminding me that no matter how much the monsters grumble or bang, my Oliver will continue to shelter me from the strange and scary beings knocking to get in.
Suddenly the door burst open, making me jump and cower under Oliver, wondering if the monsters had managed to break through the front door. With a quick peek over to the entrance of my room, I quickly recognised the shadow of my father, blocking the light from flooding in. As he grew closer to me, I could smell the weird scent he took on after drinking the golden liquid, which always made him mad. I pondered how much he had drunk, but as he loomed over me, I could see his red eyes contrasting against the paleness of his skin. I knew I should not disobey him tonight. Without warning, coldness nipped at my toes and goose bumps appeared on every inch of my body; he had taken my Oliver away from me and wrapped him around his own shoulders instead. My safety, my protection, my shelter. He had snatched it all away before I could even make a sound of protest, yet red-rimmed eyes dared me to argue; I did not want to get punished.
Within moments, my father, a man who was supposed to love and nurture me, had ripped away the one thing I trusted to protect me from all the monsters lingering outside, waiting to snatch me away. His stench still hung in the air as he slammed the door shut, reminding me not to oppose him, as shivers travelled down my spine. A sudden bang against my window made me jump, as the anonymous creatures began pelting the heavy rocks onto our roof again; however, this time, I felt much more alone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!