Fearless

Eyes bulging. Heaving in deep breaths. Mia's vision was straight at the path ahead. She took a few steps backwards and put her arms in an arched way. She finally started to run. Mia could have just walked like a normal human and not worry about the house next to her. But it was impossible. There had been rumours going around at Mia's schools where the 1st house in her very street,was abandoned and apparently,it had been said, that a young girl had died in that house. Whether is was true or not, Mia was terrified.

As Mia was ambling leisurely to school the next morning, she wondered. Mia disputed the idea that the abandoned house was haunted. She'd never believed in ghosts and wasn't going to start now, but there was a strange feeling, tingling at the back of her spine, that maybe someone did live there. Perhaps she could explore the house after school. It would be good in a way. She would face her fear. 'But what if?' Mia began to doubt herself. She shook her head. She was going to explore that house no matter what and nobody would stop her.

As Mia heaved the creaky door of the 'haunted house' with all her might, her heart was beating faster than the speed of light. She entered the house slowly. She looked around but couldn't see anything. The area was as black as a dark cave. She finally found the switch to open the lights.
"Hello? Anybody?" Mia shouted.
Nobody replied.

Mia scampered towards a door and turned the handle which revealed a kitchen. She studied the beautiful patterns on the kitchen bench carefully. She glanced over and was shocked to discover a boiling kettle. Suddenly a loud crash echoed through the house. Mia stopped what she was doing and dashed to where the noise had come from and without thinking, she opened the handle. She entered and saw a trail or books on the ground. She followed the trail of books and it lead to an elderly women. Mia confidently introduced herself. The women jumped and looked like she had seen a ghastly creature.
"Please don't be afraid. Your house is terribly lovely. Shall I go down and make a cup of tea?"
Before the women could answer, Mia popped down to the kitchen and in no time had come back with two steaming hot teas.
"I'm Margaret," the women said.

When Mia had left the house, she had known most things about Margarets house. She had been a lively girl but when her father had been killed in a car accident, Margaret had been scared to go out to the outside world. Mia had been delighted when her father had agreed to help redo the place.

Skipping delightfully down the street, holding a peace of chocolate cake for Margaret. Mia was no longer scared of the first house in her street. She was fearless.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!