Fear

Ania shivered. She was creeping softly into the woods. The sunlight was filtered strangely through the trees, putting out shadows that raced beside her. She kept a tight grip on the makeshift knife in her palm. If she was lucky, she might catch a rabbit or maybe even a fish from the stream. Anything to keep her going. She would need all her strength to escape once Parker started the chase. Thinking about her captor made her skin crawl, memories of his cruel mouth and cold hands as he cut and bled her, twisting blades into her skin. When he’d finally taken her outside, she remembered being almost blinded by the harsh sunlight. This is it, she’d thought hopefully, he’s going to kill me. Instead, he’d pushed her to the ground and explained what she was to do. Ania had exactly twenty four hours heads start to catch and cook a meal and put as much distance between them as possible. Then, once that time was up, he would come after her and spare no mercy. Twenty three of her hours were up.
Breathe shaky and knees weak, Ania began the steady climb up hill. She hadn’t the slightest clue where she was but she hoped the height would make for a good vantage point. The autumn leaves crunched slightly under her heavy footfall, making her cringe with fear. She needed every amount of stealth she had in her body if she wanted to survive. Panting now, Ania felt her hands skid on the loose dirt on the hill. Terror crept up and down her spine, making her back shudder repeatedly. She just prayed panic wouldn’t take over. She pushed herself up and over the rise, releasing a choked sob as she looked at the view stretched out in front of her. As far as the eye could see was stretches of wood and bodies of water but not a single sign of humanity. She collapsed in a heap, sobs racking her body, forcing convulsions to spiral through her stomach, her legs, and her arms. This was fear.
Ania groggily opened her eyes. Her body ached, feeling burnt out as if a fire had burnt a hollow passage right through her. Sitting up and wincing, she tried to pinpoint where the footsteps were coming from. Foolishly, she let herself hope it was someone coming to help her. Squinting, she saw a large figure not far from her. They were wearing a large red flannel and dark black jeans. Nothing like Parker! She thought excitedly. “Hey! Hey please help me, I NEED HELP.” She screamed hoarsely, raising her arms above her head and waving. The figure set out at a sprint. They stopped above her and peered at her anxious face. With a piercing scream, Ania backed away. It was him, smiling his awful smile. He dropped onto her stomach, pinning her to the ground with her weight. Ania struggled fruitlessly. In retaliation, Parker slit her throat, grinning manically. “It’s done.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!