Learning English

I was eight when I started going to English school. I attended about three times a week, and on the fourth lesson, when we learned to write the letter d, I had to write it ten times and show it to my teacher. When I did, she, unsympathetically, informed me that I had written the letter b, not d. That mistake was never repeated.

In grade three we started English classes. From what I can remember I wasn’t exactly the smartest person in the class, but was considered to be smart because I put my hand up a lot. Nevertheless, people called me smart and so I felt approved.

One day I found myself in Australia. I was nine and the extent of my vocabulary was barely enough for five minutes of conversation. Regardless, I was the only immigrant in the class and the majority of students seemed amazed that a dumb-looking Asian was actually able to communicate in English. The first English lesson was on adjectives, and the teacher asked the class to write a paragraph including as many adjectives as we could. The only sentence I could conjure was “I buyed ice-cream its pink and cold.” The teacher informed me that “pink” and “cold” were indeed adjectives. It may seem ridiculous to you, but at the time it was a life-changing revelation.

Two long years later, I was in high school. I could write stories, albeit never a complete one, and I didn’t stumble upon grammar mid-sentence. I had often been told that I was smart. It didn’t matter at all however, and the beginning of the year was daunting and slow-going. The first oral presentation was a mess; the first written assignment was overdue. It wasn’t until the start of the second semester that I received the results for the essay we did, and was praised for my skill with whittling words. I can’t exactly express what I felt that day. It was that overwhelming. It doesn’t sound that impressive, but it was an affirmation of my abilities. The parade of ticks and smiley faces had returned from a six-month’s absence, carrying hope.

And the foretold success did come. The end-of-year English award was given to me. Curiously, people suddenly seemed to act friendlier after that.
Why am I writing this? Not to brag-if so, then only slightly-but to encourage. I sit at my desk now with a pile of Chinese homework. Exasperation at my own stupidity hangs over my head like a raincloud from a cartoon. But when I feel like quitting, I see my own face, pale and grim, stare back at me from the window, and see a fourteen-year-old girl with long words in her head, not an eight year old girl who didn’t know how to write the letter “d”. And so, I pick up my pencil and carve out characters, slowly but surely.

Dear reader, who were you? Whoever you were, you’re a smarter person now.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!