I Should Have Told The Truth

“Yippee, hooray! Today I get to work with the new tiger cubs!” I sang merrily one morning as I went to work as a trainee at the local zoo. Little did I know what the day was going to turn out like.
“Aww, hello little guys”, I cooed softly at the small tiger cubs that were playing at my feet. “This cub is for you to take care of Lacey, and you better get to work because you have a busy day waiting for you,” Sophie my boss said.
“Ok thanks,” I replied cheerfully.
“By the way his name is Teeko,” Sophie added. My day had begun, I thought to myself.
“Come on Teeko let’s go and play,” I said.
“Grrrr,” Teeko growled nodding. “I’ll take that as a yes,” I giggled. So we went to go play.
Ring, ring went my phone after I had been playing with Teeko for a while. “Sorry Teeko, it’s Sophie, I have to take it.”
“Lacey, we need you at the staff room now for a meeting and remember to lock Teeko in his enclosure.”
“Ok,” I replied. “Come on Teeko, I need to go.” I quickly put Teeko in his enclosure feeling sure I checked the door.
We talked and talked like adults do and finally went to lunch. As soon as we finished I went back to see Teeko but when I got there the enclosure was empty and the door was wide open! “Oh no this is all my fault; I should have checked the door. I am going to be in the BIGGEST TROUBLE EVER! I better start looking for Teeko before Sophie knows.”
I started searching all over the zoo. At the same time odd reports were coming in from the walkie talkies.
“All the Cotton Candy is missing.”
“The mini train has crashed and is off its tracks.”
“Tiger footprints are found, but that can’t be right as tigers shouldn’t be here!”
I am going to be in trouble if I don’t find him soon! I kept on looking and not telling anyone what had happened. I looked for ages and finally found Teeko with Sophie! “Oh no!” I whispered to myself.
“Why is Teeko out of his enclosure?” asked Sophie suspiciously.
“I don’t know,” I answered with a guilty look on my face. “He must have escaped.”
“Well then, I will just have to put Teeko in a more secure cage away from the other cubs.”
“No!’ I stammered quickly, “I didn’t lock the enclosure properly.”
“Thank you for telling the truth but I cannot trust you. To earn my trust back you will have to do cleaning duty for the next week and have no time with Teeko, starting tomorrow,” Sophie explained.
I had the worst week and missed Teeko so much. Ever since I have always told the truth.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!