Edith Eyefinger

Edith was born on 15th July 2009. As you know some people have last names relating to their body or personalities. So Edith, yes you guessed it, had an eye on the end of her finger.

She was a bright girl and having an eye on the end of her index finger did have its problems. Like when she was washing her hands she had to be careful not to get water in her eye. Luckily when she was three her dad made her a special plastic bubble to cover the extra eye. It had worked for a while but then Edith’s finger had grown too big so her dad had drilled a bigger hole.

In the past a lot of things had been fun, like scaring her mother when she came home from work and saving her gold fish under the cupboard. One of her best friends, Janey Star (who wanted to be a movie star) was always having playing with Edith, they had been on a number of play-dates. She loved the movies and once took Edith, this is where the problem began.

It was bustling at the movies when Janey and her mother took Edith to the movies. They were off to see “Alice in Wonder Land”. To Janey it was the best day in her life but Edith would rather be at the zoo looking at all the lovely animals. She did not want to upset Janey so she didn’t say any thing

In the middle of the movie a voice interrupted on the loudspeaker. It said ‘Please do not panic but there is now a harmless anaconda on the loose in section A4, near the “Alice in Wonderland” movie. We have officials patrolling the room, so could everyone please evacuate the area? Thank you.”

Everyone screamed and ran out of the room but as Edith walked out calmly, she noticed a pipe rattle. It was curved so there was no way anyone could see up it without pulling it apart, but Edith could! She pulled off the blurry cover off her eye finger and put her hand up the pipe. Just then Janey came up to Edith and said, ‘Edith, we have been looking everywhere for you. Didn’t you hear the announcement? There is a snake on the loose!”
“It’s harmless,” replied Edith. “And it is here!”
“Have you found Anna!” yelled a woman’s voice, running over to the Trio.
“Is Anna the snake?” asked Janey.
The woman nodded. She had a zookeeper’s uniform and was in a mess. Her frizzy red hair was all over the place. “She’s here,” said Edith.
“Why are you touching her?” the zookeeper asked.
Edith shook her head and pulled out her arm. The zookeeper looked most astonished. She called over the officials and photographers.

The next week on the front page of the newspaper was a picture of Janey and Edith with Anna around their necks. Edith’s eye finger was the main attraction but Janey was still especially proud that Edith was her best friend and that they were both in the newspaper on the front page.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!