A Fish Out Of Water

Excellence Award in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

My life. My story. If only they ever knew.
What's happened. To me. They don't understand what I've been through.
So please. Don't tease. So what if I'm black and your white.
We both make this world what it is like the sun and the moon, the day and the night.

Please, treat me with respect. Moving schools is hard for everyone.
But even harder for me, I'm from a different country. Don’t act like I'm the cloud covering the sun.
So stop staring. Stop avoiding me like I'm poisonous. Stop treating me like I'm the rain cloud ruining your sunny day. Stop acting like I'm a fish out of water. Stop acting like I'm in your way.

I'm just a different colour. Really I'm the same to every single one of you.
“Please.” I ask. “Stop acting like that isn’t true.” Just stop.
I slowly let a tear drop. It almost hits the ground. Almost.
I feel a finger brush across my face and wipe the tear. All of a sudden the sadness disappears. I look at the girl who is kneading in front of me“ What are you doing?” I say.
“ Don’t cry. Everything will be okay.” Her words fill my brain as I try to figure out what's she is doing. And then I realize.
My first friend. My heart sores.
Suddenly I feel like a fish out of water no more.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!