Ocean Calling

Luna sat by her window, staring into the stars. She was a lonely girl. Pretty much a prime number. But that didn't bother her.
A loud voice screeched beyond the door of her room.
"WHY are you still AWAKE?!" Ma'am Kelly screeched. "GET TO BED!" She growled.
Luna hated Ma'am Kelly. Ma'am Kelly was Her caretaker. She was cruel. She was old. And she was Luna least favourite person.
"You are weird enough, I will NOT deal with you tomorrow if you are TIRED AND FLOPPY and GET IN MY WAY!" She bellowed.
And she was right, Luna was weird. She had naturally BLUE hair with green highlights. Sh had BLUE eyes that somehow nobody could look into in staring contests. She sometimes has weird thoughts go through her head that wasn't even hers and that do not relate remotely to what she was thinking. And if that wasn't weird enough, sometimes when Luna was upset or happy or in pain, she could make it RAIN
Unhappily, she crawled into Her sleeping bag (whom she called Rusty) and fell asleep.
Luna had dreams of ocean sands between her toes along with the peaceful sound of ocean waves.
In the morning, Ma'am Kelly came to talk to her.
"We have some people coming today and they want to adopt someone" she glanced around and ordered, " You will clean up around here and do NOT be weird! OR FLOPPY AND TIRED. I need you to also make the other kids beds and because you DID NOT go to sleep last night--" she paused, glaring maliciously at Luna. " REDUCED RATIONS!" She spat.

'UNFAIR' Luna thought grumpily.

She went to the meal tables and took her apple and half an orange as the other kids taunts echoed in her ears. She didn't care. Suddenly, the door creaked open and a girl came in. She had dark red hair and piercing orange eyes that flickered like flames as she looked around.
"Umm..." She started.
"Ah! I see, your early, I am so very sorry about the state of this place, I ordered this pesky one to clean up but she was too lazy." Ma'ams last words turned into a growl as she flickered her wrist towards Luna.
The girls face looked remarkably like Lunas. "Get out!" Ma'am Kelly snapped at Luna. "No one wants you!"
"Actually," the girl stated. "We want her."
Ma'ams eyes widened. She tossed a piece of paper at the girl.
" Luna." The girl said, reading the paper. "Is that your name?"
Luna nodded and sprinted to go get her stuff. And before she knew it, she was walking out the door with The girl, who's name happened to be Dawn.

ONE WEEK LATER

Luna was on a boat. It soared through the water. Seagulls fluttered above her. The mouth of the river was just ahead. With Dawn gazing at the horizon, Luna beamed with happy thoughts.



The ocean was waiting for her. Calling for her to come home. Finally. Home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!