Volleyball Break

Holly stood in her position to get ready for Kai’s set. They were at a practice match against the Sydney spikes. Holly jumped in the air, getting ready to spike the ball. But when her hand hit the spike, she fell and landed on it.
Holly's head also hit the floor, causing her to be dizzy. "Ugh," she groaned. "My head… it hurts." The last thing Holly heard was "Holly, are you okay?" before passing out.
Kai watched as his teammate fell to the ground. "Holly, are you okay?" Daniel yelled. Holly didn't move she was stone still. "Holly..?" There was still no movement.
Nick went over to investigate. "She's unconscious!" He yelled. The team rushed to Holly’s side, yelling her name. Even the members of Sydney spikes had run over.
"Take her to the nurse!" Yelled Thomas. Thomas and Sam helped Daniel carry Holly. Kai stood in silence as the rest of the team started talking in a worry.
"What if she never comes back?"
"What if she does't remember us?"
"What if she broke something?"
"What if-"
"Stop!" the coach yelled. "Holly will be alright, stop worrying. At the very least she might have a broken wrist, that's all."
Everyone stared at coach in silence. "Now, I think this match is over. Go get your stuff. And head to the place you're staying tonight. All of you look tired."
"Holly wouldn't be tired." Kai heard someone mumble. “Out of everybody this could have happened to, it had to be Holly” Thought Kai.
Sam, Thomas, and Daniel watched as the nurse examined Holly. "Hmm, it appears she has a broken wrist, and a little concussion. It's not that bad, though."
They were all relieved at this but so worried at the same time. "So, can she play volleyball?" asked Thomas, "No, I'm sorry." The nurse replied. Kai went dead silent. Clearly, he was upset about this. His face turned red.
"If she wakes up, she might have a slight problem with her memory, and her wrist will be immobile. It might be best if you...are with Holly at all times. “The nurse stated.
As she finished, Holly began to wake up. "Owwww" Holly grunted. She was pale, and her eyes were dull.
"Holly!" everybody exclaimed. "Huh?" Holly looked around. she started to put pressure on her wrist. "Ah!" she winced. "Oh. You broke your wrist in practice." Daniel said.
Holly looked at her bandaged wrist. "How?" she asked.
"I forgot about the memory loss." Kai realized thinking to himself. "Oh no, this is going to be a bit harder than expected." Sam turned his head and glanced at Holly, then back to Thomas and Daniel. “I guess we will have to deal with it all the way. I can’t bare my best friend not coming to the volleyball championship she has always dreamed of” Kai exclaimed pumping everyone up.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!