Umbra Amoris

I drag my feet as I walk back home. When I pass the driveway I notice that my parents aren't here. That's a bit of a relief; I can relax for a while.

I stumble tiredly through the hallway and push open my door. The curtains are drawn and there's absolutely no light; just how I like it. My eyes scan the rest of the interior and I feel a small smile tug at the corners of my lips when my gaze rests upon him. He's in my room, giving me an expectant stare.

"Have you been waiting for me?" I ask, dropping my bag in the corner.

He nods.

"I always do."

I sit on the bed with him and offer a weak smile. I want to show him that I'm happy he's here, but it's hard to hide the pain from earlier today.

It's as if he can see right through me. Like he can sense my angst.

"What's wrong?" He asks with a concerned frown.

I pull my eyes away from his.

"Just school."

He tilts his head, keeping the same expression, watching as I get up to grab the bottle of water off of my dresser.

I take a swig and my ears perk up at the sound of his footfall approaching closely behind me.

"Have those girls been tormenting you at school again?" I can feel the comforting warmth of his presence just millimetres away from my body.

I put the bottle down and sigh. I don't face him when I answer.

"Yeah..."

A moment of utter silence goes by before he slowly wraps his thick arms around my waist.

"They just don't know how perfect you are." His breath brushes against my ear and a cold chill crawls down my spine, "They can't see it."

I bark out bitter laugh and rest my hands on top of his large black ones.

"I'm beginning to think everyone's blind." I turn around in his embrace and place my hands softly on his broad chest, "Everyone but you."

He flashes me a wide grin and I eventually beam back.

"You know I'm always here for you."

"I know." I murmur mellowly, "And nothing makes me happier."

He lets out a soft chuckle within the pit of his throat and I bite my bottom lip. His voice is so rich and deep it makes my skin tingle and the hair on my neck stand up.

He pulls up an arm and uses all of his long, shadowy fingers to gently caress my left cheek.

"I love you, Mabel." He whispers.

I close my eyes and bask in the safety of his affectionate hold; his encapsulating passion. My heart pounds against my ribs and I feel my face unwind into an expression of complete delight.

He is and always will be, my only paramour.

I lift my lids to be once again met with his beauty and another tender smile crosses my lips.

"I love you too, Darkness..."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!