Waves

The waves remind me of my past. The waves wash over my body chilling me. Pulling me closer, making me remember more. More of the memories I dread and hope to forget. Water is a cause of great pain in my life. Not just me though, many others have suffered at the hands of water. I dread the day it chooses me. Chooses to kill me. Drown me, to pull me under. I feel like a rock, sinking to the bottom. But what happens when I get there. After the bottom is there another level? After death is there another life? I don’t know the answers to any of these questions. That's why I’m asking. I need to know. I must know.

Surely someone knows, don’t they?

If no-one knows I’ll find out myself, I thought as I took a step into the salt-water canal. The water was ice cold and I could feel the goose bumps rise on my legs. This was supposed to be my special day, the wedding ring I was given from my husband glistened in the sunlight. I shoved the note I had scribbled at last second and the wedding ring into a paper envelope then I sealed it. A tear formed in my eye as I lay the note down on the sand. I hope someone finds it I thought. They need to know the truth about everything. The true story. I took another step and then I stopped, should I do it? I thought. I live a great life, but I will have no-one to share it with thanks to the water. Why did it have to flood today, why not tomorrow today was special but now it’s not. I should have known that I will never find true love, because when I do the waves will take him away. At least if I die too we’ll be together, won’t we?

I hope this works I thought as I stepped neck deep into the water, ripples spiraled all around me as I took one more step. Then I disappeared from view. The water swirled around me and I let the waves pull me under. Deeper and deeper, the further down I went the more I thought it would never end. I felt absolutely absurd. I can’t die I thought I must live. Kicking my legs, I swam up and up until I could feel a cool wind whip my face. I felt as though the waves were pushing me up helping me get to the top. I crawled up the beach and lay back in the sand.

I might not have heard him but he was there. I could feel his presence. Justin, I know you’re still alive, you’re still with me and I still love you I thought. He was there he was in the water helping me. He may be part of the ocean but he’s still there. He’s a wave, and we all will be one day. I will visit him every day, some people may think I’m crazy but everyone is different, and no-one is the same.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!