The Orphanage

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

The summer breeze flies through my window, blowing the old, ripped curtains. I see the city lights and the shadows of family’s together and brief sounds of laughter and happiness. I never really knew what that was like, after I lost both my parents and I was abandoned. Now I live in this awful, strict orphanage. No one adopted me. I have no friends, I mostly get bullied. This place is old. It’s been around for almost 100 years! But I wish I had a normal life and a family like most other people.
Every night I look through my window and just stare at the people in their homes. I pray before I go to bed, but I know that the next day won’t be any different. I wish I could leave, but it doesn’t work like that.
I walk down the stairs looking down. Lily and Clara run past and push me. I roll down a few steps, scrape my leg and bang my arm on the balustrade. In pain, I look up at them while they’re laughing. Lily and Clara always bully me and get away with it.
I forgot to mention it, but today is the adoption. Lots of people are going to come to adopt us. But the ones who don’t get taken have to stay here for another year. I hope I get adopted, I never have before. All the girls are in a rush getting ready. “Guys, where’s my new jacket?” “I need my hair straightener!” “Where’s the lipstick?!” “Come on, we’re gonna miss it.”
“Welcome to Crescent Hill Orphanage Adoption. You will be able to adopt a girl aged from 8-14”. All the people ask us questions. I see a lady, man and little girl heading this way. “Hello, what is your name?” asks the woman. “Me? My name’s Mary, here’s my information card”. Then they head off.
It’s closing time and we’re about to find out which kids got lucky. “Lily, Elizabeth…” My name isn’t called out! Oh no. I’m not wanted, I have to stay here for another year and now my life has no point! “I’m sorry, there is one more, late adoption,… Mary?” What I, I can’t believe it, I am adopted. I’m moving out of this horrible place to a proper home! I can’t wait.
The taxi stops. I’m finally here! I look outside, there’s a small house. All the lights are on and I can hear the sound of radio static. The driver walks in and hands the lady all the forms. She looks the same as before.
As I walk in they all greet me and we introduce each other.
Then they start to stare at me, I notice it’s my arm. Is it my birthmark? The lady steps out and pulls up her sleeve, she has the same birthmark! “Teresa, is that you?” They hug me and I hug them. Is this my real family? “Mum, Dad?!”...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!