Heart Break




I woke with a start, sitting in a bed. The room was dark and cold. I used all of my strength to look up there was a crack of light between the door and the wall. A woman comes in and says “Grace……. It’s okay. Everything will be just fine.” I cut her off by saying “what happened?” she tucked me in tightly and she said “you were competing in a cross country event and your horse tripped on a jump and you lost your memory”. I was confused, my head hurt, so I tried not to think too much. The women sitting on the side of my bed said “Grace I was there watching you. Grace, I am your mother”.

I was thinking about what happened to Spartan. So, I said in a scruffy low saw voice, “what happened to my horse?” She turned and said “he’s alright and is recovering just like u should be”. She walked out of the room then popped her head in again and said “you could go and visit him if u want tomorrow?” I replied nervousness in my voice then found the strength to reply “I would love to”
I took 15 steps outside and the heat brushed onto my face. I could see the barn and hear the horses neighing very loudly. I opened the door and my Mother and Father followed me, there was what I thought was Spartan. I walked the slowest I have ever for memory. I put my hand out and he recognised me and sniffed my hand and I stroked his forehead.

It’s been 2 weeks since my injury. I have recovered 100%, but now I get little flash backs of what happened on the day of my fall. My horse Spartan is recovered. My father said that I should get back in the routine of being a cross country champion just like I was previously.
My father yelled “GRACE! GRACE! You have to come and see this” So I ran as fast as my feet could take me. Holding a flyer it said, Mt Woodley cross country, 2017.. I replied slowly “you want me to compete?” He said that “it would be great for you to move on” I trained for hours after school and the jumps grew as well. As my Mother wishes me luck my dad gives me a leg up. My whole body is so shaky. When my Mother and my Father lead me out everyone stops their conversations and just stare at me, a little girl said to her mother “I thought she would never ride again.”

I go into the barriers and I could feel the nervousness in both Spartans and my body. My father wished me good luck once again. This is it I have one chance to do this and I win put my 100% effort in it. 10 second count down and my hands were shaking even more than they were earlier. Then the trumpet blew.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!