Old Days

My name is Akina Abbagan and I am in the beautiful land now known as Australia. I see the amazing, enchanting lands of the forests. My people have lived here on and together in this land for over 50,000 years. Up until now we have lived in peace and prosperity with each other and in this place we call our home. Now, the white men have invaded our sacred Bora Ground and devastated our land by bringing convicts and futuristic, frightening, unheard of technologies.

My name is now Robert Wright and right now I am a lonely, desperate, aboriginal man.
The brutal Europeans have invaded my home and have murdered my family. These men
are not people, because they have slaughtered tens of thousands of us. I cannot take on this burden on my own-to make sure our legacy is remembered . I could not save my
people nor my religion nor my land. Outside I see the devastated, hopeless faces of
those who have survived this tragedy. I feel whatever I do, reflects on everything that has happened and on those who are slaves to the invaders. Today I am walking to the large, seaside, cliff that will serve my purpose. I feel myself shivering as I walk up to the edge of the cliff, frightened, and mortified. Today is the day Akina Abbagan will die with purpose and honour. To not bear witness to what has happened to me and my people, I feel tears running down my cheeks as I think of the tragedie that have happened to my family and my country.

I feel myself sigh happy for a moment as I walk getting closer to the edge of the endless,
heart-wrenching cliff and feel as if I am doing this as a symbolic message that will show
the European scum that they do not own this place. “Don’t do this Akina” whispered a strange mysterious voice. “What do you think this will do? End your pain” spoke the voice
again. When I heard this I questioned my own actions. “Yes, you should be the one who
will make sure people respect. Our ancestors who have fallen and have the Europeans
face justice for what has happened.” I feel my legs stiffen as I trudge slowly away from the
cliffside. I walk home mesmerised now with the responsibility of restoring respect and
freedom for all slaves and marginalised people.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!