BANG

The first bomb struck. The ground shook louder than thunder. We were all sitting at the table. Mother and I dived straight under the kitchen table. Father pushed himself off his chair and stood up. Father takes 5 strides to the door then he opens it slowly. It squeals like the demons my father had told me about. “BANG!” Father fell right backwards onto his back. I knew father was strong and would stand back up, but he didn’t. He was lifeless, he was dead. I could see in mother eyes that she knew that too. After that it was bomb after bomb. I couldn’t stand the noise any more. I remember the last bomb the most. I felt a wave of relief wash over my body. I wasn’t so frightened anymore. We waited five or so minutes until mother thought it was safe. I stood up while mother walked to the lounge room. She didn't know any english so I had to speak in my native language and ignore what my teacher had said. I told her “I love you and planes had probably just flown past the village and we were safe now.” I was wrong. Right then and there mother had let her guard down. These people in black clothes came rushing in to our home. I was still in front of the table so I quickly ducked back under. I suspect they didn’t see me, but they saw mother. They grabbed mother and took her away without a care. The rest of the hour was mainly a blur. I remember mother screaming and crying as they dragged her out of the house. I was sure they were going to kill her. I cried for the next hour. But I knew I had to make a choice. To go and risk being killed or stay here with my dead father and wrecked village. I knew which one was right. Most people would be dead so I was no use to them. I decided I had to sleep on it. They probably thought that no-one was left in this house. I snuck up the old broken down staircase I jumped in bed. I tossed and turned for hours, I ended up crying myself to sleep that night.
I woke up around noon, I couldn’t hear the birds chirping like I usually could. I slowly pulled myself out of bed. I snuck out to the kitchen. I grabbed my bag and stuffed: clean clothes, food, water and some soap in it too. I was ready for my journey. I was scared, but excited. I never had been away from home before. I opened the door slowly. No-one was there. I crawled out of the doorway and then went behind a bush. I stood up and started to walk, still alert. I saw a bunch of people in black clothes over near a campfire.
“What's that over there? In the bushes?” one of them yelled.
I was in the bushes!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!