Mango And Me

Based on true events…

It was a totally normal morning - I got out of bed, had a shower and awaited breakfast. Everything was normal except for the terrible thing that was coming my way. “Mum, can we please have bacon and eggs for breakfast? “ok then” Mum reluctantly agreed. “There’s not enough bacon”, I complained. “There’s not enough gratitude,” mum replied with annoyance. When mum wasn’t looking, I gave my eggs to Mango, our pet dog and best friend in the world to me. We did everything together and she was like a four-leaf clover - hard to find and lucky to have.

“I’m going to play with Mango before school,” I called out to mum. “Fetch Mango, go get the coconut”, I yelled playfully. Mango didn’t like to fetch balls like other dogs…she much preferred chasing a giant coconut. As I threw the coconut back and forth for her, I felt a flash of serenity and happiness. I always loved watching her grey shaggy fur fly though the wind: she was such a beautiful dog. Her gorgeous brown eyes reminded me of the stars and the Milky Way at night. I honestly didn’t know what I would do without my crazy Irish Wolfhound/Great Dane Cross, and I loved her to infinity and beyond.

“Come inside now Daly,” mum called out to me. “I love you Mango, I’ll see you when I get home,” I promised. I gave her one last bear hug and jumped in the car. It was an uneventful day at school, after which I bolted home, excited to see Mango again. Walking around the corner, I was shocked to see a van parked in the driveway with big letters on the side saying ‘emergency VET’. I ran desperately to my house, and found mum in tears and Mango laying on the floor convulsing. “Mum wha…. what’s wrong with Mango”, I sobbed. Mum was too upset to talk. “Mango has been bitten by a paralysis tick”, the vet said sadly. “I can’t help her - the tick’s toxin has already spread too far, and we need to put her down”. I fell to the ground crying a river of tears. “I love you Mango”, I said with a heavy heart. I patted her lightly and stared into her eyes, as she was taking her last breath, knowing no matter where she is, she will always live in my heart.

Mango slowly drifted away, and then was gone from our lives forever. I hugged Mum and she hugged me. We dug up a grave in our backyard under a beautiful tree, blooming with flowers which fell and carpeted the grass in a sea of red. We all stood around her grave crying, but at the same time hoping she was in a better place. “Goodbye Mango, the most beautiful dog I’ve ever seen”, I thought sadly….

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!