Call Me Jealous, But...

Try explain my excitement when a pretty, young girl picked me up and shouted, “This one, Mummy!”
“Okay, Elizabeth,” her mother said sweetly, placing me in the basket.
I was finally getting out. I would sit on a shelf; wishing that I would be bought. Played with, acknowledged. It was a good day.

I remember it clearly. I was her favourite toy. The others were jealous. But I was the alpha bunny. Elizabeth loved me so much, she would cry whenever I was put into the wash. I was cherished.
Until the day.
My owner, Elizabeth, Had recently turned 10. Music Blasted. It was cleaning day.
She swept into the room, straightening up her bed, grabbing me. Not to reposition me, though. The cupboard door swung open and she threw in. It became darker, until… pitch black. I couldn’t see anything.
“Hey, Hey you! Whaddya think yer doin’, stompin’ all over me!?” I heard bellow under me.
“O-oh! I’m so sorry. You see, I’m trying to-” I stammered.
“Get out? Good luck with that, yer incompetent rabbit! Nobody ‘ere has found an opportunity ter escape!” the voice snapped.
He was right, but I didn't want to lose hope.

After several days, the door opened. I wanted to run, but I knew that I would risk being seen. I was desperate to see what had taken my place.
I peeked out the crack.
“‘Lusco the Loved’. That’s him,” a plush cat whispered fearfully. “He wants to destroy us all.”
I was confused, though. This bear was a lovely beige colour. It had a pink ribbon tied around its neck and beady eyes.
“I know what you’re thinking,” she said, “‘how on earth could that adorable bear be bad?’ Well, he is! One wrong move and he’ll rip you to shreds!”
“What, with the tip of his silk bow?” I joked.
She gave me a glare and replied, “No, with his razor sharp claws.”
I shrugged, and went to creep out of the cupboard. The other toys looked fearfully. Whatever.

I crept along the carpet flooring. Elizabeth turned around and mumbled. She was still asleep. Lusco was under the covers, so I could not be seen by him.
I climbed onto the bed silently. Lusco crawled from below.
“Get off.” he groaned.
“Why are you here?!” I whispered angrily. “Why are you here? What makes you better than me?”
“Nothing really,” he grinned, “But this.”
Claws ripped through the fur of his paws and he yelled, “I AM LOVED!”
“I was here before you! Why does she likes you over me?!” I cried.
“I don’t.”
Elizabeth opened her eyes. Lusco sliced my chest. It went dark and I could hear laughing and sobbing. I can’t remember what next. As I woke up, Elizabeth’s mother was looking down at me with a soft smile; stitching me up.
“Is she going to be okay, mum?” Elizabeth asked.
“Of course she will. She’ll be as good as new.” her mother replied reassuringly.
Some people change.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!