The Sunset Walk

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

I felt the pulse of my Mum’s hand, that I held while we walked along side the crystal blue water. My brother Sam ran in front of me; shouting how fast he can fly. Silly as he was, I loved him with all my heart. My dad was walking along side me. He commented on the beautiful ripples in the clouds.
We usually came here after the big days at school or work. Mum said it was good to come to the beach after school. She said that it helps with the stress in high school. I agreed, as big assignments were coming in fast.
So we walked along the beach and climbed across rock pools. I hurdled over small crashing waves. My brother and I loved doing this as a fun game. Then we would climb up the same cliff everyday. The whole family would get to the top and look out into the horizon. I could see all the shades of blue, that stretched longer than the eye can see. Most days when we got to the top of the cliff, I would dream about the free life that lay beyond me.
Although, those days were over. There was no longer Mum’s pulse, or my brother’s laughter. There was no Dad either. Mum was at home with Dad, back in Canberra. My brother Sam was looking after his own family. I have longed for the whole family to come back together, and enjoy our evening walk. The thought made me tear up, remembering the days when we would run and play in the water.
Suddenly Alyssa ran past, “You'll never catch me!” she shouted while running into the distance. I sighed and jogged toward her. Alyssa had short blonde hair just like me. Which isn’t a surprise, considering I am her mother. I started to run faster after her, when I heard a small voice yell, “Mum!”
It was Cameron, Alyssa’s younger brother. I stopped to wait for the tired little boy to catch up with me. Finally he stumbled to me, I reach out to take his hand. I felt his pulse, it was fast and energetic.
Alyssa had already reached the cliff that towered over the shore. The very same cliff that my family had gathered on years ago. She waved down at us from the edge of the giant rock formation.
“Come on Mum,” Cameron smiled, running to the cliff.
At the top, I looked out to the horizon, I felt like a little child again. I turned around to face the old oak tree. I noticed that the trunk of the tree had been carved. I knelt down beside it, to see a small love heart with my family’s initials weathered in the bark. “What’s that mum?” Cameron and Alyssa asked.
“That? Well that’s the near past children, the near past,” I said as I gave my children a big hug.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!