That Sinking Feeling By Abbey Purcell


I sat down onto the moist sand with my feet out in front of me. I rested my heels onto the sand; they starting melting immediately, a soft breeze blowing in my face and a perfect coolness of the sea salt waves brushing against my ankles. I tried to open my eyes for the sunset was as bright as a million fireflies. The waves crashed viciously against the oyster covered rocks. It was the most wonderful sight I had ever seen.

Suddenly, I noticed that I had sunk into dark wet sand. My knees first, then my belly and now you could only see my face. I thought that I wasn't going to go any further, so I tried to push off with my feet, but that didn't work and I sunk further and fell right through and landed where I think is the center of the earth!

It was dark, wet and cold down there. It was so dark, I couldn't see anything, only a sign saying, "Wicked Witches City"

Witches! This was all I could think about at the moment. Witches, witches! It raced about in my mind! I hoped there wasn't witches living here, but witches meant witches.

I felt like I'd missed something. I turned around and there standing right before me was a gigantic city. I saw a enormous building that was shaped like a cactus; it was bright orange and had round windows. I starting walking toward the city curiously. Excited and a bit nervous, I found myself standing at the edge of the city.

I noticed that people were walking towards me. They were pushing and shoving me, until I found myself standing in the center of the city. I looked closely at the people and they didn't exactly look like people!

They had long pointy noses and glum green faces; WITCHES!!! They crowded around me, their glaring eyes stared at me. I took three steps backward, when I felt ...
A building, big, bright and orange. It was the one I'd seen earlier. I looked back to see if there was anyway to escape. I couldn't see anything.

''Ahhhhh,'' I sighed, this is what I thought would be the END of me.

Walking backwards slowly, I tripped and fell over; smack, bang onto my bum! I sat up and saw a lever. I lifted my leg and pushed with all my might against the lever. It turns out, I didn't need to push so hard, because it was easy.

Trap stairs flew out before me. I jumped up and raced up the stairs anxiously. Higher and higher I went, but there was only a tray and sand.

I sat down on the sand and started to cry. I started melting immediately. I tried to scramble out, but it made me melt quicker. Knees first, then the chest and I had gone right through. To my surprise, I found myself sitting peacefully in my own world with waves brushing gently against my ankles.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!