Head In The Clouds

Dozens of white, pixelized name tags hovered in sight as I landed with a soft thud onto the ground. My friends were all waiting for me in the lobby as I joined the party. I spotted my friend, Creature Captain, briefly holding a compass with his stub-like arms before we spawned at the arena.
I immediately spotted at least 20 other eager contestants on identical stone Pedi stools that formed a circle around the golden prize: a pile worth of chests. Whoever had a strong head-start usually were the last tributes. My team and I already planned beforehand. Half of us would try to grab loot from the centre of what we called the death circle, while the rest would play it safe by running the other direction: into the woods.
The countdown from ten was already blaring on the screen. Before I knew it, everyone was already frantically dashing towards the centre. Our first team-mate had already been lost. Without glancing behind me, I ran as fast as I could to seek safety in the forest.
Stealthily sneaking past a duelling group armed with gleaming diamond weapons, I successfully met my remaining teammates at our designated camp spot.
This was where I had spent my last few months every afternoon: meeting with my friends at that very spot every time. We discussed game tactics in the group chats, and ways we could improve them. Every day, while merrily talking about suitable armour, the same daunting thought had thought occurred to me. If only I could see them in real life, out of the screen. If only we could be more than just imaginary internet friends.
I faintly heard footsteps coming towards my bedroom door. Mum had obviously heard my typing.
“Honey, come down for dinner and stop playing that ratchet game. You’re going to need glasses after playing for so long,” she said briskly with that tender voice of hers, twinged with her British accent. I could sense the tone of annoyance in her voice, like every other day. “Oh, the poor thing. Doesn’t have any friends at school. No wonder why she always has her head in the clouds,” she muttered to herself. She didn’t know I was listening. All that time with headphones really paid off.
But I didn’t have my head in the clouds. I had my head in Minecraft.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!