Haunted

I sat up straight in bed. I was breathing hard. I looked at the time. One a.m. I let out a sigh. It was just a dream. Nothing more. I got out of bed and walked over to my window. Across the road was a graveyard. In the graveyard, I could see a black cat. It was looking at me. Just like every night, at the same time, in the same place. It was like an endless cycle that I couldn't get rid of.
I decided to finally brave the graveyard at night. This is the last night I would be haunted. I am sick of it. I will get rid of them. Of course, people have told me it's all in my head. But it's not. I will prove them wrong.
I exit the house, not bothering to lock the door because I would be back in a minute anyway. I walk across the street. The black cat walks away, leading me somewhere. I know I shouldn't, but I follow it. It takes me to an old tomb with a door. Either it wants me to go in or it wants to get in itself. I try smashing the lock but it's no use. It's locked. I look around and find a big, sturdy stick. I pick it up and try to break the lock with it, but it won't budge. The cat just sits there, looking at me. Assessing me. I run back to my house and find a hammer I was using earlier for renovating, then return. I try using it but it's still no use. I lean my head against the door and whisper, "Please. Just open."
As if they were the magic words, the lock flings off and the door suddenly groans, causing me to jump back. It swings open, causing dust to go everywhere. I cough and squint, using one hand to shade my eyes like you would if you were looking at the sun. A girl that looks identical to me wearing a white gown exits.
"Thank you," she says gratefully as the cat jumps into her arms. "I'm sorry that we have been disturbing you, but I have been separated from him for years. Now we can finally rest in peace."
With that, she turns around and returns to the tomb, the door closing on its own accord and the lock going back in place.
The next night, I had no more nightmares. I slept through the whole night.
I did it. I got rid of the ghosts.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!