Thanking The Deceased


“To describe the man who was my grandpa in this short amount of time would be a challenge that wouldn’t ever succeed in it’s full potential.” I said taking a shaky breath and smoothing out my highly crumpled speech that was very nearly falling apart.
“My grandpa was a man that I could tell you a hundred things about now and then remember a thousand things later.”

“But alas, the man you all knew was a lie. Behind the well convincing façade was the shell of a man who you used to know.” I said wringing my hands painfully together.
“Past events that have left my grandpa and I with just each other in this world have changed both of us for better and for worse.”
“You must be wondering why just now after years of struggling along with pain and suffering I’m sharing this with you. And I’m hoping from this you realise that situations like these can be avoided.”

“My grandpa, although always the first to help someone across the street or lend a helping hand became plagued by a sickness. Almost like a computer virus and the only way to get rid of was to destroy it,” I said with mixed emotions keeping my eyes directly trained on my speech paper.
“No one thought a man who had children and grandchildren would act how he did, but that’s the first mistake everyone made. Even I, and after the first mistake came the second, and then the third and so on until a web was made that had trapped my grandpa. It would only be a matter of time before the spider came to claim its prey.”

“But I have one thing to say to him that I realise I never said enough. Ironically I guess that’s how it always is, you never know what you had until it’s gone. And while I hate myself for saying that cliché line, I would sincerely like to say thank you, grandpa.”
“Thank you for being my role model and guiding light even when you were struggling, this shows the selfless person you continued to be throughout your years and I’m truly grateful. Thank you for showing me how to be strong and not let anyone deter me in doing what I want because even if you were fighting a battle you put me first, always. My world and life will truly miss your wise words but I know it’s time for me to path my own future, with you in my back pocket.”
And with this I crumpled the paper up again before sitting back down to finish the service.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!