The Perfect Fairy Tale

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

“Pssst… Pssst…,” she whispered.
A rustle in the leaves and in blink of an eye, a magical unicorn appeared out of the darkness. The weather was extremely cold, this was what it was always like on Mars.
“Catch me Amethyst!” the girl excitedly yelled. She crouched down low, then…
SNAP!! On the way down, she snapped a tree branch which gave her a fright, so she toppled down hopelessly, hoping that Amethyst will catch her in time.
She had landed safely on the unicorn’s back! Pulling her hoodie back, she revealed beautiful blue eyes that swirled like whirlpools. She had red lips and blushed cheeks.
“She’s coming, Merriweather!” Amethyst squeaked. They tiptoed to the palace gates.
“Ahem…I am here to present a speech –to the Queen.” Merriweather said seriously to the guards dressed in red uniforms with blue belts like the sky. They opened the gate as they walked in.
“Next” the Queen replied.
“Amethyst and I want to defeat the Grumpinish!” Merriweather said bravely. Every one gasped. No-one was ever brave enough to go into battle with the Grumpinish-who wanted to take over Mars!
“U-Uh ye-yes you definitely c-can” stuttered the Queen.
They walked out as proud as lions as the other people cheered them on.
“Got into gear, Amethyst?” Merriweather joked. She clutched the cold sword tightly, sweating. Did I think this through? She thought.
Crunch! Crunch! The leaves were crackling under Merriweather’s feet as they walked nervously to the Grumpinish’s cave. They trudged slowly, not daring to make a sound. We could just surprise attack him! Thought Amethyst, Easy Peasy!
It wasn’t actually easy because the moment Merriweather stepped on an unsuspecting twig, the Grumpinish turned around and saw them there. On the ground. In front of the horrible monster with fiery eyes and poisoned horns on its body… ready to KILL.
As it roared, they could smell the stinky, foul breath that it let out. Merriweather grabbed the backpack, furiously searching for the grenades that she thought she had brought earlier. But they were nowhere to be found! How as she supposed to fight the Grumpinish with just a sword? The monster got up and showed its horrible jaws, it was just about to attack them when…he stopped.
Well, rather his belly stopped him. He was full with all those lost warriors! Merriweather and Amethyst took their chance and started lunging at it. Surprisingly, it only took a few blows to kill it.
They went home, excited to tell everyone about they’re fabulous journey…
“WOW! I’m very honoured and humble to present to you… the pair hat defeated the Grumpinish!” the Queen boomed. Cheers rose from the crowd. They had a huge party!
Meanwhile, a shadow lurked the cave of the monster...
THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!