Under Siege

Something changed. The atmosphere shifted. A feeling of impending doom filled me, and a knot settled tightly in my throat. Terrified screams and the sickening clash of longsword on shield resounded in my ears. I forced myself to look up at the fortified walls that had always protected me from the “outside”. I thought I was going to be physically ill. Red-shafted arrows flew over the wall, piercing anyone and anything in their path, and giant claws with long ropes attached were hooked onto the tops of the fortress. My fears were justified when someone yelled “SIEGE”!!! I was spell-bound with terror. Gulping back the fears that overflowed within me, I forced myself to turn and face my people. I saw a young girl I had observed only minutes ago, slump limply to the ground, a black-clad figure standing over her. Without a thought, I picked up my heavy silk skirts and ran - not away, but towards her.

I half-dragged, half-carried her around a corner and out of sight from the town square where a ferocious battle was now in full force.
‘It’s ok,’ I whispered to her, ‘I’ll help you, you’re safe now.’ I knew it was a lie, but she needed that hope if she was ever going to survive this. ‘I’ll take you to the castle, I know a secret tunnel where we can escape.’ I picked her up awkwardly, her thin body sagging in my arms, and I shuffled clumsily towards the castle; careful to stay hidden behind buildings. My heart raced wildly in my chest as I neared the castle. The fortified walls were being defended by knights; courageously facing off the opposing forces, the silver-crested emblems on their cloaks barely visible beneath the blood and gore splattered across them. I gently placed the girl down to calm my laboured breathing, and was pleasantly surprised to find her sitting up, awake. I knelt beside her, she was shaking violently. The bruise on her forehead was purple and puffy, and she was a sickly pale colour.
‘What’s your name?’ I asked her gently.
‘Evelyn.’ She replied softly.
‘Well Evelyn, I’m afraid you’re going to have to come with me, because you need medical attention and we have to get out of here or we’re both dead.’ I told her bluntly, the princess in me coming out.
Her face contorted in surprise and she took a sharp intake of breath. Then a slow smile spread across her face, ‘Ummm… okay.’ She whispered.

I returned her smile quizzically, wondering at it’s strange appearance. I would never know. The threatening thrum of an arrow behind me startled me. ‘EVELYN GET DOWN!!!’ I screamed, petrified. She was too late. I saw the puzzled expression that crossed her face before the pain seized her and she fell back on the cobblestones, taking her last. Shallow. Breath.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!