Lesson Learnt

Ding dong. “Oh Jeepers!” cursed Alfie. “That bell only means one thing; trouble,” explains Alfie. “Douse the fire,” Jem told Alfie “take as long as you can so they have to come looking for you.” Jem grabbed a bucket but instead of joining the men in the yard he sneaked over to Tommy’s family who gathered when they heard the bell. Suddenly a voice yelled out just loud enough that he could hear it. He went and explored. He saw a man holding a musket to an aboriginal woman's neck. The man had tied a rag over the woman’s mouth. “Take that gun off her neck,” demanded Jem. “Why should I?” asked the bushranger. “‘Cause if you don’t I’ll tell the captain that a bushranger is in his territory,” said Jem. The bushranger stared up into the sky and thought for a moment. “Alright,” he said lowering the gun from the woman’s neck “on one condition, you give me shelter until I feel like moving on.” Jem thought long and hard about that deal. Finally he made a decision. “Deal,” Jem replied.”Deal,” said the bushranger. They shook hands.

Midday
“Pssst, Alfie come here,” whispered Jem. “Sorry Jimmy I’ll finish your lesson later,” Alfie said to the little boy who he was teaching to read. “What?” asked Alfie. Suddenly Tommy walked in. “Today my mum was terrorized by a dirty, filthy, horrible bushranger but then she was saved by a boy that matched your description Jem, was it you who saved my mum?” asked Tommy. “That was your mum?” questioned Jem in disbelief.

When Tommy left, Jem started talking again. “You know how I saved Tommy’s mum from the bushranger,” explained Jem. “Yeees,” replied Alfie curiously. “Well I may have made a deal with him, that I would provide shelter for him and he’d let the Tommy’s mum go,” ended Jem. Alfie’s jaw dropped to the ground and his eyes widened in disbelief.

That night
That night Alfie was enraged. “Why did you befriend another bushranger?” asked Alfie huffing and puffing. “I saved Tommy’s mum” replied Jem angrily. “That doesn't take away the point that you befriended another bushranger,” responded Alfie. “Alright next time I see someone being harassed by a bushranger I’ll just leave them be,” concluded Jem.




The next day
“Hey Alfie take the food scraps to the animals” ordered Jem. “I did it last time,” answered Alfie. “No I did,” argued Jem.“Let’s do marbles on it,” suggested Alfie. “Fine,” answered Jem.

“Ha I win you lose,” taunted Jem after a short game of marbles. “ Seeya,” called Alfie grumpily from the stairs.

5 minutes later
“Pff, Jem always winning our little fights,” whispered Alfie. “Freeze boy,” yelled a man jumping out of the bushes making him jump, scream and throw the scraps into the air. “I’ll take those,” said the man taking Alfie’s boots. Suddenly Jem came running up. “What’s happening here?” asked Jem. “Ohhh,” he said as he realized what was happening. He started walking off whistling. “Wait Jem I’m sorry I didn’t realize how bad it was to be harassed by a bushranger,” called Alfie. Jem turned around and ran up to them. “If you let him go,” Jem said to the bushranger “I’ll give you shelter for a month,”. The bushranger nodded vigorously and let Alfie go and ran into the scullery.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!