Gallipoli

Gunshots and explosions surrounded me as I pounced off the ship. We sprinted over to the wall and stuck close to it. I jogged behind the others cautiously and nervously.

“Up here!’’, someone called and pointed at a rocky hill. Instinctively I began to climb. Turkish troops shot at us rapidly. I watched men fall to their knees screaming in agony, but I couldn’t stop to help them, I had to keep running. Finally, I reached the top and shot down two enemy soldiers. Suddenly, a Turkish soldier came out of nowhere and pointed his rifle at me. I leapt out of the way and took cover behind a rock. I threw a grenade over my head; the explosions resulted in feverish cries of pain and torment of Turkish troops.

“Look out!’’, a soldier yelled.
I peered behind my shoulder only to find a small platoon of enemy soldiers charging right at us. I dived behind a blown up cannon. I didn’t want to shoot them but I had to, not because of hatred, but for my country and my family. Bullets whistled past my ear as I shot down more Turkish soldiers. I began to think of my parents and Jess. My body was shaking and I had shivers running down my spine as my heart raced. I was overwhelmed with the thought that I may not see my family again and never feel their love and warmth. My ears began to ring, the noise was unbearable. I blocked my ears for a moment and then I remembered my lost cobber Tom, who once said to me:
“Sleep while you can and help all you can but most of all, remember that we live under the shadow of sudden death. So grin and keep a stiff upper lip, being anxious or worrisome will surely lead to death from within one’s spirit, hence the will to go on and fight”.

My friend’s powerful words encouraged me to survive the fiery oblivion that lay ahead of me and let me return home to my father, mother and sister.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!