A Child's Peril

The boy was sitting in the corner playing contentedly with his toy plane. His father had been away on business and his real mother had left a long time ago. The boy’s father had asked me to look after the children that didn't go away with their mothers when he was away on business. I looked out the window into the hot Riyadh city. It was sunny and dry but it felt like a dark gloomy day in here as the master's children were crying in their rooms.

“Little one,” I said
“Do you want some food?”
“No,” he said plainly.
I walked away not knowing what to do, how could I help him? Was he being brave and trying not to cry? What was wrong? None of the other boys were like this so it couldn't be a genetic problem. After a good hour, he finally spoke.
“Samaira,” he said
“Yes,” I responded my voice sounding panicked. It was the first time he had talked when I hadn’t asked a question all day.
“Where’s dad?” He said.
I didn't know what to say, the child was so sweet but I didn't want him to suffer and he surely would if I told him his father had just died in a plane crash.
“Where is dad Samaria?” he asked again.
I walked over to him slowly and picked him up and put him on my lap.
“Well,” I hesitated. “You see your father was on a plane going to his next wedding and he, well,” I gulped visibly hesitating, “Something went horribly wrong and the plane crashed, I'm afraid your father Muhammad Bin Laden didn't make it”.

I had said all this in a timid rather quiet voice and I wasn't sure if he had heard me as he didn't seem to process the information and he just blinked at me as if looking to see if I was lying. After a while, he got up and walked over to the corner looking out of the window.
“Little one?” I said, “Are you okay?”.
I had expected more of a response from him as what I had just said should have a great impact on him even if he didn't really know him that man was still his father. I sensed that he was getting impatient when he asked me something.
“Would you please call me by my real name. I am now the man of the house and I would like to be treated like it or else you are fired,” he stated, looking up at me.
I hesitated because I loved thinking of him as my own and I would have thought that he might think of me that way too, I was also shocked because he had never been so verbally aggressive but finally I said, “If that is what you want master Osama”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!