Rainbow Magic

“Misty! Misty?” I called. My kitten and I were playing in the rainforest that surrounds my house. There she was, standing right next to a beautiful rainbow! Then she darted under it and disappeared. This is where my adventure begins. Without thinking, I went in after her. First it seemed like a shower of coloured light but then I was thrown around, tumbling over and over, almost like being dunked by a wave. I could feel myself being lifted off the ground. Clouds swirled around me. Then it all stopped. I heard a faint meow. There was Misty, wearing a dress. Without warning, my own dress dropped into my arms. I looked down, and gasped. I was not wearing the dress I had set out with, in fact, this one was very different. It had short, puffed sleeves, shimmered and went down to my shins; there were matching slippers, too! And we were FLYING above the rainbow! Could things get any stranger?
As Misty and I soared above the rainbow I suddenly felt myself being pulled towards it. Soon enough, I realized why. We were heading towards the end of the rainbow. As I touched it, my dress changed. So did Misty’s. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet - all the colours of the rainbow. And then we were sliding. Down, down, down to the end of the rainbow. Worriedly, I shut my eyes tightly, not knowing what to expect. But I couldn’t resist peeking. When I looked again, the rainbow had changed. Instead of curving downwards, it had shifted, so that it was shaped like a giant slide. Feeling safer now, I let myself go, hanging on to Misty as we slid down.
Closer and closer Misty and I slid to the end of the rainbow, the colours flashing up on our faces. ‘What are we going to find when we get to the end, and why are we being sent here?’ I wondered. Finally we reached the bottom and I jumped off. I looked around. Everything looked bigger. Then I saw them, the fairy king and queen. The king stepped forward.
“Grace, welcome to our kingdom. We have called you to name you our new rainbow fairy.” He smiled. I beamed. I couldn’t believe it. I was a human, becoming a fairy!
“Only when you come over this everlasting rainbow will you be fairy-size,” the queen said, “but you shall keep your wand and clothes in your home.”
“I get a wand?” I asked.
“Yes,” she replied, “now let the ceremony begin!”
The fairies cheered loudly. One of them placed a crown of flowers on my head. I smiled. The king tapped his wand on my shoulder, before handing me my own. I waved it around. A shot of rainbow-coloured sparkles flew out. Then we all danced and danced until I thought my feet would drop off. After saying our final farewells, Misty and I left. Arriving back home, we raced into the forest, ready for adventure!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!