Relentless

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

The gripping sensation of fear made my body tremble and goose bumps to form on the surface of my skin. Frightened and bewildered, I clutched the porcelain doll tighter to comfort the raging fear that I was confronted with. The porcelain felt cool in contrast to my sweaty, warm hand. Both of my feet are unwaveringly planted upon the grimy and stained tiled floor. Despite my feet being steady, my whole body shook with tremors and my knees felt like they were going to give up on my weight. I felt the foot of the bed prickle on the back of my thigh as I forcefully pushed my thigh against it.
Her saccharine and deceivingly cunning smile did not fool me. She somewhat resembled a predator prowling its prey, waiting for the perfect time to charge and devour it. I made sure to distance myself from her as her piercing gaze penetrated against my false façade of boldness. I was sure that she felt my fear radiating from my form. Slowly, as if to taunt me, she walked towards my immobilized form. Every slow step that she initiates, the beat of my heart seemed to increase in speed.
“Come on, dear Madeline. It won’t be that bad,” she uttered. Her voice echoed in the dimly lit room and seemed to ricochet and linger.
I shut my eyes tightly as she used that tone to persuade me. Out of all the tones that she uses to talk to me, I hated it when she uses that tone that made her seem like the caring and angelic mother that she always portrayed and pretended to be in the eyes of the public. But she wasn’t. I knew better. Her green and bright eyes glinted with displeasure at my display of defiance against her wishes. Out of the public’s scrutiny, she would relentlessly torment me physically and find pleasure in my pain.
I felt her cold hand grip my wrist and her body shake from anger. “Listen to me, Madeline,” she seethed,” You have already given me an awful life ever since you were and your damn father left me. You even embarrassed me in front of those guests outside! Bawling and wailing like the worthless daughter you are! Now, be a good daughter and smile at the guests like nothing happened.”
Flinching from her painful grip and the reek of smoke from her mouth, I nodded my head as a reply. My mother dropped her painful grip on my wrist and gave me one last loathing expression and eventually left me.
Like a dam bursting forth, my tears spilled down my warm cheeks. I felt my chin tremble as I silently howled my misery. Through the haze of my tears, I glanced down and saw new bruises form on my wrist.
The porcelain doll was the only thing that brought me comfort from the harsh reality of life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!