The Abandoned Factory Misfortune

“Ria! I can’t wait all day!”
I grabbed my bag and ran down the hall. “Bye Mrs. Amory!” I yelled. “See ya! And don’t go to the old Play Co. factory, okay? I know you guys like exploring, but trust me, that place is no adventure, it’s just haunted and cursed,” Nathan’s mum looked at us.
Nathan stopped walking. “What do you mean it’s ‘haunted and cursed’, mum?” Nathan turned.
“Didn’t you know? One of the machines exploded on its grand-opening! There was smoke in the air and a new guy sacrificed his life to save his friend!” she finished as I faintly listened to the story. I already knew the story. In fact, I’ve heard it from so many people in so many versions already!
“Yeah…that was my…dad,” I looked at my shoes.
Nathan broke the silence. “Well, gotta go!”
Once we were outside, Nat asked me: “Do you think that the factory’s haunted?”
“Why? Are you scared?” I sneered.
“No way! Actually, let’s go there!” Nathan began to run.
He’s SOOO scared, I thought as we approached the old Play Co. factory. I noticed that Nathan’s shoulders shook a lot, so whatever Nathan planned was gone now, replaced by a new fear. The area surrounding the factory appeared as if the sun never shone its happiness there. Upon entering, I shivered at the sight of headless dolls littered on the floors. Soon, the streetlights would turn on and the moon would fly up and greet us with its mysterious light.
I looked around in the eerie darkness. “Um…about the incident with your dad…I shouldn’t have brought us here. I’m sorry,” he apologised heartily.
It was cute, but it wasn’t his fault. “Um…I found the controls!” I changed the subject quickly.
I leapt toward the lever, but I slipped on something. I fell on an old conveyor belt covered with wires and my feet hit a switch. With a loud whir, the furnace flared to life and the conveyor belt began to move.
I can’t die today! I still have to hand up my science project!
Nathan’s eyes widened at the noise.
Nathan jumped over boxes and swung on pulleys like they were vines in a jungle. His footsteps thumped across the floorboards loudly.
By the time he reached me, my head began to dip into the pit. We lay on the ground breathless, with the sound of fire crackling in the background. Nathan looked at me. “Are you okay?” I sat up and stretched as if I had just gotten out of bed.
“Are you kidding? I found my dad’s ring by the furnace! I’ve never been better!” I opened my hand slowly.
Mrs. Amory almost doubled over in shock once she saw us. “Did you fight a dust bunny out there?!” Our clothes were crumpled and both our faces were covered in soot.
“Um…we tripped over?” I said quietly. After that, we had a new curfew. Honestly, I’m just glad to be alive!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!