I Missed You

Fingers tapped against a countertop.

“I fell asleep,”

Jason eyed the waiter who was smiling oddly at them, and wondered why he’d chosen an ice cream shop for a meeting place. It had only been a year since their relationship started, and already he was doing, what, in his opinion, was… incredible.

“I didn’t mean to miss you, Piper,’’

Jason glanced at his girlfriend, seated on a stool a foot away from him. Having just returned from a two-week long camp, she looked exhausted, and took to glumly staring down into her bowl of ice cream.

And she looked… sort of sad.

“I missed you,’’ Jason practically mumbled, feeling that stupid blush creep up to his cheeks.

His efforts proved fruitless otherwise, for Piper continued to ignore him. How could she still be upset over something that happened two weeks ago? Women weren’t human. Growing irritated, Jason said the one thing he hated, despised… loathed, saying most of all.

“I’m sorry.’’

Piper finally looked at him.

Intense, earth brown eyes stared into gentle, sky blue for a moment, before they drifted back to the counter. Strands of loose hair hung on her face as she tucked her head in and picked up her spoon.

“Okay,” she said.

Jason watched Piper shift the melting ice cream around in her bowl. She had said ‘okay’, though she clearly wasn’t. In hopes to finally demolish the tension, he decided to pose a request. It was something he’d wanted to do for two weeks.

“Can I kiss you now?”

He watched her freeze, as a bit of colour began to rise to her cheeks. He’d never say it, but Piper was adorable when she blushed. It was then that she nodded, her face burning even more. They both slowly turned to face each other.

“I did, want to see you... before you left,” Jason said while staring at her, searching her eyes for whatever she was thinking.

The touch of a smiled crossed Piper’s face. It suddenly made him breathless. She nodded once more with a whispered, “Alright.” He hadn’t noticed how close they both were until their lips were only centimetres… millimetres, apart.

“ICECREAM!”

Like dodging lightning, they swiftly pulled away from each other. There was only one person that pranced about the city screaming ‘ice cream’. His face, inevitably, poked into the shop within seconds.

“Jason?” He asks, as he took a seat beside his friend.
“I thought you didn’t like ice cream.’’

“No, I... don’t, Leo,’’ Jason managed, as he shoved his bowl towards him.

“Jerk,” he added.

Breathe, he reminded himself. His heart was pumping triple the norm. He cast a dark look at the intruder, who was eyeing him right back.

“Are you... alright?” Leo asked through, already, a mouthful of ice cream.

“You seem a little... breathless.’’

“I’m fine,” Jason hissed.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Piper, who was trying very hard not to laugh.

Amused, he smiles.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!