Take A Leap

Wednesday
As the cars, trucks and taxis race past the glass doors and walls, I dance. All day and through the nights. On the nubs of my bare toes. “Make it look easy” she says. That’s Miss Mary, she asks me to do the most impossible things sometimes. As I dance I feel like nothing is in my way, I feel independent, I feel like my toes are going to break! But every ounce of pain is worth it. Lillian was my partner, my best friend and my spirit animal. She kept me going no matter how many times I want to give up. Always by my side and everything I need.
Thursday
School, again, why?!!! Every day for three hours… at least I don’t go to a public school but hey teens gotta complain, am I right? I’m here with Lillian, Miss Mary’s daughter and my best friend. We were hanging upside down on the monkey bars when she broke the news to me….
“I’m moving…!” she exclaimed
“What why?!” I asked confused frazzled wishing this was a dream. No… a NIGHTMARE.
After discussing this for a while we realised that she wasn’t just going to any dance school but our town’s rival school…!
Friday
Its competition night and I’m beyond exited to see Lilly. As we come into each other’s sights we squeal with delight! It’s only been a day but it felt like forever! As she introduces me to her team I can’t help but feel a tad jealous. First of all they are great dancers but also they were all like a magnet to my Lilly. I wasn’t sure if my school was going to win. As I introduce my self-everyone seems lovely. Well… everybody except the team captain, olive. She is orange like a sunset and as long as the vines in the rain forest. As I try to introduce myself, she scowls, I assume it has something to do with the fact that I’m on the opposing team but she seemed to welcome Lilian with open arms.
I’m in my dressing room and everything is chaotic! Shoes and hairpins cover the ground. Costumes on racks everywhere. Girls and boy practicing solos, duos, trios and group dances. Girls turning boys lifting and every type of leap ever known to man being practiced.
On stage as I dance as confident as confident could be. But then the spotlight was smashed… literally, some body actually broke the spotlight! I went from cool as a cucumber to sweating bullets! I try to finish my solo but I can’t, so I ran off the stage that was the stupidest thing I’ve ever done!
But then, caught red handed was olive. She smashed the light. Her team was disqualified and Miss Mary decided to move back. No more competing with Lilly and her back to see me every day.
I can’t believe this total catastrophe turned out so well! I can’t believe what a drama I made out of this!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!