Man's Smartest Friend

Man’s Smartest Friend

So what makes my dog better than any other dog? Well, that’s simple, he can read minds.

I discovered it when I was helping Mum by hanging out some clothes. A huge gust of wind came by and ripped a pair of pants out of my hands.

Out of nowhere, Chucky bounded out with his tail wagging. He snatched the pants from the air.

“Don’t you dare,” I thought, when I saw the pants dangling from his teeth. I was stunned when he stopped and tilted his head to the side. I stared at him and he stared back. Surely he couldn’t have understood my thoughts.

“Come here boy,” I called. He didn’t move. “Give me those pants,” I thought.

As if he had read my mind, he trotted over and dropped them at my feet. I tried out thinking a series of instructions. I tried; sit, roll over, shake hands, turn around.

They all worked!

In one week I had taught Chucky to cook porridge, change channels on the TV, make my bed and carry my bag to school. It was like I had my own secret butler on four legs.

Everything seemed perfect, until one afternoon I noticed that we were being watched. A man in a white jacket stood at the bus stop across the road glaring at us as we walked home from school.

“Hey you, I need to talk to you about your dog,” he called in a hoarse voice.

Chucky and I didn’t stick around to hear what he had to say. I already knew what he wanted. He was after Chucky, and I wasn’t letting anyone take him.

I knew we had to lay low for a while so we hurried to an old abandoned house just out of town. The ceiling was peeling, the doors were off their hinges. As we crept inside, I kept looking over my shoulder.

That was when my foot when straight through a broken floor board. I heard a sickening snap and knew I’d broken my leg.

“Get help!” I just managed to think to Chucky just as I blacked out.

When I woke up, there was a doctor at the end of what I quickly realised was a hospital bed.

“You’ve broken your leg,” he said. “Your parents are downstairs.” He nodded towards the door where the strange man in a white jacket was standing. “This was the man who found you. I’ll fetch your parents,” said the doctor as he left.

“I’m sorry if I frightened you. My name is Tim and I am a scientist,” the man began. “I wanted to warn you not to use your dog’s power in public. I am responsible for what he can do. I just want him to have a happy life.”

“So you’re not going to take him away from me?” I asked.

“No, you can keep him on the condition that you always keep his powers hidden.”

I agreed.

So you see, my dog is definitely better than all other dogs, but it’s just not safe for me to prove it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!