The First Sighting

Beside a lush green hill runs a bumpy cobblestone road, from the lush green hill grows a leafy old tree. Most people see the tree as just an ordinary tree, most people don’t know it is also the beloved home of the mysterious Woofie Poofie.

When the weather is just right the Woofie Poofie will stick his tiny bearded head out of his door in the tree trunk and with his one eye, search his surroundings for any sign of danger. If the Woofie Poofie deems it safe enough to come out he will cautiously climb through the door all the while balancing a cup of his special homemade green tea on his head. Once he is out he will keep balancing it on his head while dancing around his tree home. “The weather’s just right for me, for me, for me! I can drink my tea, my tea, my tea! Because the weather’s just right for me!” he will sing joyfully. After he has sung his happy tune he would plop down against the tree and drink his herbal brew.

One sunny afternoon he was just finishing his song when he heard a strange and unfamiliar noise, it was the engine of a car! He ran hurriedly towards his tree and tried desperately to pry open the door, but alas, it was jammed! He could hear the car driving around the bend in the road, any second now the humans would see him. He glanced back with his one eye and witnessed something truly terrifying, the car was rumbling towards him!

Daniel was terrified. What was that creature!? Did it want to hurt him or his dad? Was it going to eat them for dinner?
“Dad, look!” he shouted and pointed towards the monster.
“What is it Dan-” He paused when he saw the being, and slammed on the brakes.
“What the hell is that thing?!” He climbed out the car and squinted, wondering if his eyes were playing tricks on him. The strange being backed up against the tree.
“Don’t hurt me!” it squeaked. Daniel got out of the car and ran towards his dad and the creature. When he was standing beside his father he asked “what are you?’’
The creature blinked “well, I’m the Woofie Poofie of course!”
“And will you hurt us?”
The Woofie Poofie looked horrified. “Why would I do such a thing, the more appropriate question is will you hurt me?”
“We won’t hurt you if you promise not to eat us.”
Again, the Woofie Poofie looked horrified “excuse me? I am strictly vegan! I promise. Would you like to come in for some tea?”
“No, we aren’t going anywhere.” Daniel’s dad answered for him.
“Dad, if he was going to hurt us he would have already.”
“….Fine.”

On that wonderful day the Woofie Poofie made two new great life friends and as he gave them a tour of his rustic underground home he realised that for once he wasn’t so lonely…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!