I Am NOT A Chicken!

The beach side was beautiful in the warm vibrant sunlight, filtering through the thin layer of clouds. It was peaceful and I stood up off the ledge and made my way down to the glass like water. the ocean always rejuvenated me, but it was never enough to quench my thirst of overcoming my fear of jumping off from the pontoon. It felt like the sea was laughing manically at me. I have always liked the water, swimming was my strong point, but the enemy lie within. I took a step forwards, letting the entrancing azure lure me into stumbling along the sand some more.

I finally boldly walked forwards and the water licked at my feet then started splashing up to my knees then I dived head first into the bubbling foam of an oncoming wave. I battled with the tide towards my destination, I never knew what scared me about the pontoon, I could swim well but I was just terrified of it. But today was the day I took that leap of faith, the day I determined to jump off the pontoon. After continuing my journey, I could see the black looming shape up ahead in the water. I wanted to run scared like a dog with its tail between its legs but I needed to prove to myself that I could do this. I swam to the ladder and heaved my body up so that my feet rested on the first step. I rested there for a little while building up the courage . The step was slippery with algae and I could see the barnacles on the side of the pontoon, as I slowly made my way up, gripping forcefully on the hard metal bars. I took the last step, stood up straight and froze. I forced myself to take a breathe and used all my effort to take one wobbly step forwards. I stood there getting used to the gentle movements of the pontoon and felt myself relax slightly.

It was now or never I said to myself as I step towards the ghastly edge. I WAS NOT A CHICKEN! I screamed as I jumped and plunged towards the surface, I was mixed with the adrenaline and thrill of what I had just accomplished. I was back in my territory and I could now see the schools of fish swimming by and the vibrant coloured coral. I stayed as long as I could, my lungs started to burn but I ignored it, but it was all over too soon as my lungs started screaming for air and I was forced back up to the surface. I did it, I said over and over in my head, I did it, I did it, I did it, I was not a chicken anymore The pontoon was no longer intimidating. I smiled and ducked under the water and started swimming to the shore. I was glowing with happiness, I sat facing the marvellous sunset, it may be nothing to some people but it was a huge achievement to me and I had done it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!