Haunting Music

"Mum, come on, we’re going to be late!" I cry urgently. "Ugh, it's not even six o'clock yet," sighs Mum groggily, as she emerges from her room still in her dressing gown.
I get to school just as my teacher, Mrs. Century (who is extremely old) calls my name on the register. "Sophie Wendt." " Here Miss," I say as I arrive at the bus door. "Well quick get on the bus," Mrs. Century says crisply.
Mrs. Century sternly told us "After we get off the bus we will be going to the Ballarat Gold Mines. Be sure to bring everything you need and be on your best behavior!" She said the last part looking directly at me, so I figured it would be best to do what she asked.
“Wow!” I gasp taking it all in as I step into a dark, eerie room with an Aboriginal man sitting in the middle of the floor. He has a didgeridoo next to him. When we sit down he starts playing a strange, haunting tune and I soon fall asleep. “Aargh,” As I sit up, there’s a man shouting at us. I can’t quite work out what he’s saying but it’s pretty clear he wants us to get out. But why?
Mrs. Century shuffles us out and we walk to where we can see people digging for gold. As we walk past, we see women with big puffy dresses, they are staring and giving us looks of disgust. I see weak men in rags being taken away by mean, sour looking policemen. Big rough men are digging for gold and a lot of ugly fighting is going on.
Suddenly, just as Mrs. Century is going to pick up a shovel and pan, a man notices us. “Oi what do ya think ya doin?” he booms looking down on us. Us kids are getting really scared by now so Mrs. Century flees with us following behind.
Just then I hear a crash and a scream, Mrs. Century has fallen and needs help getting up. That’s when it clicks, we are back in time! I know how to fix it. It seems impossible but worth a try. “Help Mrs. Century and follow me,” I call quietly to my classmates.
We peek into the dark, eerie, room it is exactly like it was before but no man. Wait! I spot him standing in the shadows of the room. I walk confidently up to him and ask him to play his didgeridoo. I hold my breath and cross my fingers hoping we make it back to present time.
I wake up and look around feeling dazed. Guess what! We are back and there is no trace we had even left the room. Nothing goes wrong for the rest of the day, though sometimes, I think I hear that haunting music from the didgeridoo.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!