Legend Of Hokanoi

“I wipe the dust covered sign with my sleeve, as rain starts to fall, to reveal a quote, ‘trust shall not come if faith does not follow’. I mutter the quote to myself in confusion. “What does that mean?” I breath in the thin air and scourer the landscape for my crew. No one to be seen.
“Jane? Monica? Paolo?”, my eyes dart around my surroundings, “Where are you?”. Up ahead in my line of sight I see a cave way partially covered by vines and plants. I sprint towards the cave way in hope of shelter from the storm.
I slowly enter the cave, being cautious of what it could hold. I drop my things in a corner away from the entrance of the cave.
My mind wanders “What if they are lost? What if my crew has become one with the legend, never to return?”.
I stop. I remember the quote I saw on the sign ‘trust shall not come if faith does not follow’. The realization of what it means comes to me.
I grab my bags, and stand tall, “I must be faithful, so our trust pulls through.” “

“That is the story I think of when someone mentions the legend of Hokanoi. The time I found the passage.”
“My life now surrounds and is that quote. ‘Trust shall not come is faith does not follow’, I live and breathe it every day.” Mackenzie turns towards a now older Jane and the circle of grand kids around them.
“Jane, that quote is what lead us to be together again, for me to find you and the others.” Mackenzie says with hopeful eyes.
Jane nods slowly, “And I’m forever grateful”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!