That Summer

I pulled my hoodie over my head so it covers half my face, conscious of people’s stares as I trudge down the corridor towards my locker. Whispers float around the corridor and fingers point at the weird girl with the dark oversized hoodie.
What ever happened to her?
Is she ok after you know… What happened?
I heard that she was almost shipped away to rehab…
I ignored all the whispering. It didn't bother me. Besides, I'm already used to all of this. The whispering, finger-pointing and the name-calling. It's all been happening for years.
Before I turn left, heading towards my locker, I suddenly bump into a rock hard chest.
“Ooof!”
I fall to the floor as my bag opens, scattering everything inside it around me. As I look up to see who the person was, I suddenly freeze. My whole body went rigid with fear as goosebumps crawl over my arms and legs.
No it can't be. It can't. I thought he transferred schools?! Oh god no.
A feeling of dread washed over me as a sadistic smirk starts forming on his face.
“Surprised to see me eh? You thought that you could get rid of me that easily? Well you can't.” He leans his face towards me. His breath fanning my face.
“No one ever does.”
His eyes suddenly veer up towards my head then roams the rest of my face.
Why is he looking at me like that?
Once again I freeze. My face paling. I suddenly realise that my hoodie or my hair isn't covering my face or my forehead.
“Huh, I guess the rumours were true. You have turned uglier over break. Didn't know he did such a good job though.”
His grimy fingers start tracing the scars that run across my cheeks and forehead as I shivered in disgust.
“H-how could you let him do this to me? You were right there. Inside the room just watching and smirking to yourself. I trusted you Jeremy. I let you in as my brother! H-how could you betray me?”
Tears stream down my face as I manage to gather myself up to collect my things and go to class. By now there was no one in the halls as the bell rang five minutes ago, signalling the beginning of period one. As I start to shakily walk away, I was stopped by a hand roughly grabbing my elbow.
“Where do you think you're going?!” He yanks my arm and pulls me to him so that we are chest-to-chest.
“If anyone hears anything about me being involved in this, and I mean anyone, I will get you and I will do worse things than what your father had done to you over break.” He growled. “And that's a promise.”
He let go off my arm and pushed me hard towards a brick wall, my head banging on it. I watched as he turns around, walking away, hoping to never bump into him for a long time.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!