On A Different Note

As the sun beats down on my scaly body, I stretch and let out a huge sigh. What a beautiful day.
Lazily, I reach over and grab my guitar from its resting place beside me, leaning up against the stick that I’m sprawled all over. I sit up slowly and pluck the strings absent-mindedly and frown as I remember the day before.
I had tried to sneak inside the human’s habitat and practice the songs that they were playing. A few of them had gathered together and were playing different contraptions. But as soon as I had stepped inside, I was thrown back out again! My only option was to climb up the rusty barbeque and peek through the window.
A small, toothy grin creeps across my face as a song starts playing in my head. It happened to be the only song I had managed to copy from the humans in the past. The only thing that can be heard in the backyard is the smooth strum of my guitar. As I listen, my mind begins to wander around in a calm daydream…
My snooze suddenly takes me to a place of beaming lights and swarming crowds. It was where I had dreamed of being since I had first started playing my guitar. I turn around and another of my kind is pushing me forward. “C’mon, you’re on stage now!”
I step on to the glistening stage and am nearly blinded by the powerful spotlight overhead. The sound of the roaring throng just about knocks me over. It is then that I realise that they are cheering for me! My guitar is resting softly in my hand. I slowly close my eyes and drive my hand over the strings. The crowd screams as the twang of my guitar echoes loudly throughout the building.
I play a few more notes and the crowd’s response doesn’t differ. I want this moment to never end, but like all other things, it must.
All of a sudden, my mind snaps back into action, and I realise that I had still been strumming slowly while I slumbered. I blink rapidly and take a glance at my surroundings. Still tired, I pause for a while and think about how I can get closer to achieving that goal. I could attempt to learn another song from the humans…
Slowly but steadily, I sneak closer and closer across the backyard to the wide-open door of the human’s habitat. The spiky woven mat at the entrance pricks my feet as I step onto the smooth surface of the human’s place.
THUMP, THUMP, THUMP
But before I can get anywhere, I look down and see the ground getting farther and farther away from my feet.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!