I Run And Run And Run.

I hear a twitter and stop cleaning the hard, splintery wooden floor. I drop my torn rag by the hearth and stroll towards the window. An outrageously beautiful black bird flew past, it’s glossy black feathers mesmerising me. A wisp of smoke tickled my nose. THAT’S when it all began.

The whole cottage was ablaze before you knew it. The unbearable blazing heat tearing at my skin. In a convulsive motion I run out the door. I run and run and run. My golden curls tail behind, my blue eyes terrified. My pale green tunic and vigorous green skirt almost trip me. The whole sickeningly, lush, green forest becomes a blur and tears start to form, streaming down my cheeks, yet I still run and run and run.

The uncontrollable fire chases me. Crackling and leering at me. Reaching out for my clothes, my hair, my soul, however I still run and run and run. I start to hear distant screams from my past bottling up. Those horrendous, horrific, humane screams. I shudder. I brush it away and run and run and run.

My rosy cheeks are flushed, my palms perspiring. The conspiring fire hot as the sun still trying to melt me. I muse to myself this is it. This is the end of me. The end of Annabel Van Doris. My heart pounds to the heavy whispering of the fire, nevertheless I run and run and run.

A flash of lights hit me. I sprint towards it. I see shining metal and knights flying past me on their horses. Clink, clank. Clink, clank. I’m out of danger but I still run. And run. And run. I stop. I manage to squeak out, “Help.” THUD! I see black.

My eyes reluctantly stir open. I stare in horror. What once was a picturesque view is now a barrel of destruction and despair. Trees completely charred black and only ashes remained. No sign of life. Just 43 acres of barren soil. I fall to my knees and start to sob. My head falls in my dainty hands. It stays there for what felt like an eternity. I swiftly brushed my tears away and stood up. There was nothing left here for me so I simply run and run and run.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!