Visiting The Red Planet

It was 2019 and the Mars One - Project, rocket just been launched into outer space. My grandfather was an astronaut aboard the rocket. He works for NASA and was on a one-way trip to the Red Planet. He was the person who left a mark on our planet-by leaving Earth, for the future of humanity.

31 years later, I was on video chat with my family and we were talking to our grandpa. He invited us for a 3-year trip to visit Mars. I could not wait; this would be my first aerospace experience!

We spent the next week at NASA wearing spacesuits and training how to adapt to Mars's environment, and used the simulation rooms to experience floating in zero gravity. Scientist gave us a medical check-up. Finally, we officially trained as astronauts.

The following day we arrived at the Kennedy Space Center at Florida. Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex was busy with controlling space shuttles. It was a very exciting moment entering the checking building to board our spaceship and then fastened our seat belts. It was time to head to Mars!

It was an amazing experience to board as a passenger in the spacecraft. When the spacecraft reaches orbit, the rocket engines turned off. Then everything inside it appears to be weightless and we began to float, held down only by seat belts. Foods and liquids consumed with the help of straws in closed boxes and the only problem would be getting solid food into my mouth before it floats away.

In the meantime, our spacecraft experienced a shower of meteoroids. Suddenly, the emergency alarm went on and everybody was scared. I was curious and went to the controlling room to see what happened to us. Other astronauts were already there and staring horrified at the meteors hurting towards us at rapid speed. We were surely doomed! Our captain was an unbelievably skilled person and dodged at least hundreds of meteors before one hit a panel. Unexpectedly, the lights turned off and the main communication system with Earth was disabled. The captain switched on the emergency engines and kept on dodging the asteroids until he flew over the last one. Engineers repaired the damaged panel and again started the peaceful journey to Mars.

After we landed in the Space Shuttle Center at Mars, we rushed to see our grandpa. He was waiting near the arrival counters and I ran towards him and hugged him tightly. After that, we went to his robotic flying saucer and flew to his apartment.

I was amazed at what I saw outside the Space Shuttle Center. The whole city covered with global buildings and beyond the red sands mountains there was beautiful scenery of two moons. I was so flabbergasted by my surroundings and speechless. Everything on Mars looked amazing and felt like I was watching a sci-fi movie.

From this moment on the next three years would be the best in my life!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!