A Chance To Change

A curtain of green hung around me separating me from the world and everyone trapped within it. The water rippled gently as the fish gurgled, from the depths of the lake. The grey stepping stones gazed up at my frustrated face. Silent tears rolled down my face. My strawberry blonde hair fell past my ears, curling around my face. The cherry blossoms floated to the ground around my feet. The tall skyscrapers stood behind me like shadows, protecting me from any intruders, in my moment of depression.

The world seemed to be working in slow motion. The chirping of the birds seemed clearer. The walking and talking seemed louder. My tear stained face looked up and saw her. A girl with cascading chocolate curls and the cute sea green eyes. Taunts seemed to roll down her back, staring didn't even seem to waver her. A permanent determined look set on her face, she marched down the pavement and dropped down on the bench next to me.

A toasty sensation coming from the depths of my heart filled ever muscle, vein and bone in my body. An awkward feeling crept around my face, making me blush. One that I have never felt since the death of my mother. Comfort. A sense in that I belonged. A destiny. A change to make. A warm look formed on the girls face. In a flash, I knew she was going to write a new story in my life. With that my life changed from the first words she said to me.
'Do you believe in magic?'

My answer will be held with me as time brings me closer to death. The short phrases. The flavour of my deepest beliefs, sugar coated with love and joy.
'I guess. Magic can be the bond that holds the love between people. Magic helps lead your life as a roller coaster. You don't know what you are going to feel at the end, with all the emotions during the ride. I believe magic is the surprises in life. And, life isn't life without surprises.'

My answer surprised me. I had poured my heart out to those few words. The fire burning in my head, had been washed away with a wave of happiness. The pounding inside me had soften to a gentle tap. At a blink of an eye, I realised, I had gained a friend a person that can hold onto my darkest secrets. A friend that reminded me of the final words my mother murmured to me.
'When ever you feel blue, lose yourself in the rhythmic sound, of the massive crests topped with white froth gently lapping onto the sand'.

With my answer, I stood up. My legs shook as I put my weight on them. Putting one foot in front of another, I walked into the depths of and adventure hand in hand with my new friend. A smile creeping onto my face as I thought of the new teenager life I had earned.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!